Father struggles to understand allegations against daughter who was killed by police
"I had no indication she had been doing drugs again," her father said.
Hours after Simons was shot, police were able to contact Sandra Chotia-Thompson, 40, and convinced her to surrender without further incident. Police believe Chotia-Thompson was the other woman involved in the Scaddy's robbery and shootout with the officer.
Simons said his daughter and Chotia-Thompson were friends several years ago and Chotia-Thompson even went to church with them for awhile. But she later became "too weird," Simons said, and he and his wife feared she was using drugs.
"My wife told her she didn't want her hanging around with Kelly or coming over anymore. I guess she got influenced again with her or something. We're just like struggling, it's hard to even stop crying. She was just a good girl, would never hurt anybody," he said.
Kelly Simons painted murals for a living, in businesses, nurseries, stores and other places. Her father said he doesn't believe his daughter would harm anyone.
"You lose a daughter, your only child of 38 years, you cry. It's hard. We're drained," he said. "She was at church last Wednesday and she seemed very attentive and loving. … Now I just cherish those last moments I had with her."
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Top Ten Spring Activities for Utah Families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 76
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 61
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24