Utah Jazz: Devin Harris, Marvin Williams reminisce about old teams
Alex Brandon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
ATLANTA — Devin Harris was hardly surprised when he got traded from the Utah Jazz to the Atlanta Hawks last summer.
"It was the writing on the wall when Mo came," he admitted.
Less than a week after the Jazz wheeled and dealed to bring in Mo Williams in that four-team trade, Harris was shipped off to his fourth NBA home.
"I've been in this league long enough. You see things happen," Harris said. "Obviously, it worked out."
Harris said he had a good time in Utah for the brief time his stay lasted. Harris was originally traded to the Jazz from New Jersey as part of the Deron Williams deal. He played for the end of the 2010-11 season and then the entire lockout-shortened 2011-12 campaign.
"It was a fun time while I was there. Fans embraced me. I enjoyed spending time there," Harris said. "It didn't last very long, but that's what happens with expiring contracts and other stuff."
In exchange for the speedy point guard, the Jazz received Marvin Williams.
Harris will play tonight (5:30 p.m., Philips Arena) for the Hawks (20-14) after recently missing 11 straight games with a right foot injury, while both Williamses will be sidelined for the Jazz because of their ailments.
"I’m very disappointed. Obviously, this was a game I was kind of looking forward to all season," said Marvin Williams, who spent the first seven seasons of his NBA career in Atlanta.
It was "difficult" for Williams to be traded from his first team after such an extended stay and building so many close relationships, but he told reporters at Philips Arena after shootaround that he's adapting nicely to being in Utah.
"It's been really fun. I really enjoyed my time here (in Atlanta). I was very appreciative of this organization," he said. "They gave me an opportunity to live out my dream. I'll be forever grateful to the Atlanta Hawks for doing that."
Williams also dropped a hint about his upcoming decision on whether or not he'll take his player option to remain with the Jazz through the 2013-14 season.
"I'm a member of the Utah Jazz now and I like where I'm at," he said. "And I'm really enjoying my time out there, so hopefully I can stay there as long I've been here."
Other short shots from shootaround:
• Marvin Williams on playing in that quadruple-overtime game in which his old team outlasted the Jazz for an exhausting 139-133 victory last March:
"We (Derrick Favors and Paul Millsap) were talking about how gassed we were. I've never played in a game that long, not even outside messing around. I've never played basketball that long before at such a high level."
What was it like?
"It was a fun game. I was finished," he said, recalling how it as the third overtime game in as many nights for the Hawks. "It was awful. I was done."
• Harris on his favorite memory with Utah being the Jazz's playoff push:
"We started out well and then we dipped a little bit and then we came back strong. It's good to prove people wrong. Nobody thought we'd be in that position," he said. "Obviously, we'd like to extend it a little bit longer. It was good to get back there (for him and Al Jefferson)."
• Williams, who sported a Mariners hat into the arena, on whether it's a bad time or not to be a Seattle guy in Atlanta territory with the Seahawks-Falcons game coming up:
"I'm pretty confident that Seattle will be playing again next Sunday."
• Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin on his 19-18 team, which has won four of five games:
"We're playing better and we're having longer stretches of playing good than we did early in the year," he said. "We still have room to grow in a lot of areas. The guys are figuring each other out and we're getting more comfortable and more confident as we go forward."
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33