Utah author Brandon Mull helps create story for Scholastic's Spirit Animals series
The new multiplatform fantasy series titled Spirit Animals will be published by Scholastic this fall, Scholastic announced this week.
Utah author Brandon Mull created the story arc for the seven-book middle-grade series and will author the first book, “Wild Born,” which will be released in September.
The Spirit Animals series will be written by different authors and link to a simultaneously released game series, as with the 39 Clues and Infinity Ring series, according to a news release from Scholastic.
Spirit Animals is set in the world of Erdas, where children go through a coming-of-age ritual to determine if they have a “spirit animal,” which represents a bond between human and beast that bestows each with great power. The story centers on four children from different cultures who undergo the ritual and discover they have been chosen for a greater destiny.
Scholastic editors approached Mull about creating the story. Mull is also the the author of the Beyonders, Fablehaven and Candy Shop War series
“I was flattered and excited to be asked,” he stated in the news release. “I liked the premise; my head lives in the fantasy world. Scholastic gave me a nugget, a starting point — not much more than a writing prompt, really. They told me there was a world where kids bond with animals, and four main characters, and then said, ‘Go!’ I was able to invent the mythology and to bring a lot of other things to the project. I had a ton of control.”
Maggie Stiefvater (the Shiver trilogy, “The Scorpio Races” and the Raven Cycle) has signed on to pen the second installment, scheduled for January 2014.
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Video brings kindergarten...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood at...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 51
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 11
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3