SALT LAKE CITY — A man faces kidnapping charges after allegedly stealing a van while a 12-year-old boy was asleep in the back seat.
Bradley James Kane, 32, is charged with child kidnapping, a first-degree felony, theft, a second-degree felony, driving under the influence, a class A misdemeanor, and interfering with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor, according to charges filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
According to charges, the theft occurred Jan. 3 when the manager of a Subway restaurant was called to the store at 3303 S. State, South Salt Lake, following complaints that a man who appeared to be intoxicated was disrupting customers and refusing to leave, charges state.
The woman responded to the restaurant, leaving her sister and 12-year-old son in a vehicle outside. Kane acquiesced to the woman's request that he leave. Moments later, her sister rushed into the restaurant, announcing the vehicle had been stolen.
According to the charges, the 12-year-old boy who had been asleep in the back of the van woke up as Kane drove away. The boy announced he was going to call police, and as Kane turned to look at him, he crashed into a parked car near 3185 S. 200 East.
Kane hopped out of the moving vehicle, which began dragging him, and the boy managed to stop the van, charges state.
As Kane was being taken into to custody, he reportedly told police, "Nothing happened. People steal cars every day," charges state.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18