Man accused of stealing van with child inside charged with kidnapping
SALT LAKE CITY — A man faces kidnapping charges after allegedly stealing a van while a 12-year-old boy was asleep in the back seat.
Bradley James Kane, 32, is charged with child kidnapping, a first-degree felony, theft, a second-degree felony, driving under the influence, a class A misdemeanor, and interfering with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor, according to charges filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
According to charges, the theft occurred Jan. 3 when the manager of a Subway restaurant was called to the store at 3303 S. State, South Salt Lake, following complaints that a man who appeared to be intoxicated was disrupting customers and refusing to leave, charges state.
The woman responded to the restaurant, leaving her sister and 12-year-old son in a vehicle outside. Kane acquiesced to the woman's request that he leave. Moments later, her sister rushed into the restaurant, announcing the vehicle had been stolen.
According to the charges, the 12-year-old boy who had been asleep in the back of the van woke up as Kane drove away. The boy announced he was going to call police, and as Kane turned to look at him, he crashed into a parked car near 3185 S. 200 East.
Kane hopped out of the moving vehicle, which began dragging him, and the boy managed to stop the van, charges state.
As Kane was being taken into to custody, he reportedly told police, "Nothing happened. People steal cars every day," charges state.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 42
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 31
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 18
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 12