SALT LAKE CITY – The fourth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team scored a season-high 81 points to defeat Great Falls (Mont.) 81-39 on Thursday night in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster improves to 15-2 overall this season and 4-0 in Frontier Conference play with its seventh straight win. Great Falls slips to 11-7 overall and 1-3 in league with the loss.
“We always rely on our defense and had to do that again tonight,” head coach Shelley Jarrard said. “We weren’t making shots against their zone early and it was our defense that carried us.”
Leading the game 7-6 at the 13:08 mark of the first half, the Griffins took control of the game with an 18-3 run over the next seven minutes. They turned that run into a 32-14 lead at halftime despite shooting just 37.5 percent from the floor in the opening half.
Westminster would really pull away in the second half by shooting 60.6 percent from the field and making four of seven attempts from beyond the arc. The Griffins went on a 21-2 run during an eight minute span, including 14 straight at one point.
The Griffins finished the game shooting 49.2 percent from the field and had seven makes from deep. They scored 42 points in the paint and had 17 points from 17 offensive rebounds. Westminster held a 40-26 edge on the glass and forced 24 turnovers which resulted in 37 points.
Cydney Tibbitts led four Griffins in double figures with 18 points. She went 7-of-12 from the floor and grabbed 10 rebounds for her third double-double of the season while also recording five assists, three blocks and three steals. Allie Eastman added 15 points on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting with two triples. She also grabbed five rebounds and had three assists. Kelsi Wells had 11 points and Tia Pappas went for 13 points, five rebounds, four assists and six steals.
Taylor Stratton led the Argonauts with 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting. Kindra Jones added eight points and four rebounds.
Westminster returns to action Saturday as it hosts Montana State-Northern. The action will tip at 5:30 p.m. in the Behnken Field House.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 47
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33