BYU Museum of Art
PROVO — Brigham Young University's Museum of Art has issued an open invitation for people to join in the creation of a community art installation that will be displayed on campus.
Artist Marie Watt and the MOA are interested in wool blankets and their stories. These blankets will become part of a blanket sculpture that will be featured in the "Shaping America" exhibition opening in March.
Marian Wardle, a curator of American Art, said Watt is interested in the stories and memories that are often associated with blankets.
"Blankets hold a deep personal meaning for her, as a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians," Wardle said in a press release. "In the Seneca community, as with other indigenous groups, blankets are given to honor those who witness important life events. This connection between blankets and community inspires much of Marie’s artwork."
All wool blankets are welcome, including those that are frayed or have holes. Blanket donations may be delivered to the MOA information desk located inside the east entrance of the museum before Feb. 2. If you choose to share your blanket’s story, you may do so by writing it on a tag provided upon delivering your blanket to the MOA. The tags will be attached to each blanket in the blanket sculpture. Participants will receive a small silkscreen print by the artist in exchange for their blanket contributions. The blankets will be folded and stacked to create a skyward-reaching column and welcoming tower.
If people would like to donate blankets but live outside the Wasatch Front, they may call 801-422-8287 to discuss the feasibility of donating their blankets. For more information, visit moa.byu.edu.
- Returned Mormon missionaries in 2014 FBS...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of the...
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the world'...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 54
- Bible, Book of Mormon make list of top... 20
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 14
- Faith groups speak out against Obama's... 13
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 13
- Elder Paul K. Sybrowsky dies at age 70 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7