BYU Museum of Art
PROVO — Brigham Young University's Museum of Art has issued an open invitation for people to join in the creation of a community art installation that will be displayed on campus.
Artist Marie Watt and the MOA are interested in wool blankets and their stories. These blankets will become part of a blanket sculpture that will be featured in the "Shaping America" exhibition opening in March.
Marian Wardle, a curator of American Art, said Watt is interested in the stories and memories that are often associated with blankets.
"Blankets hold a deep personal meaning for her, as a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians," Wardle said in a press release. "In the Seneca community, as with other indigenous groups, blankets are given to honor those who witness important life events. This connection between blankets and community inspires much of Marie’s artwork."
All wool blankets are welcome, including those that are frayed or have holes. Blanket donations may be delivered to the MOA information desk located inside the east entrance of the museum before Feb. 2. If you choose to share your blanket’s story, you may do so by writing it on a tag provided upon delivering your blanket to the MOA. The tags will be attached to each blanket in the blanket sculpture. Participants will receive a small silkscreen print by the artist in exchange for their blanket contributions. The blankets will be folded and stacked to create a skyward-reaching column and welcoming tower.
If people would like to donate blankets but live outside the Wasatch Front, they may call 801-422-8287 to discuss the feasibility of donating their blankets. For more information, visit moa.byu.edu.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- LDS Church History Symposium presenter...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 100
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 84
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 56
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 14