BYU Museum of Art
PROVO — Brigham Young University's Museum of Art has issued an open invitation for people to join in the creation of a community art installation that will be displayed on campus.
Artist Marie Watt and the MOA are interested in wool blankets and their stories. These blankets will become part of a blanket sculpture that will be featured in the "Shaping America" exhibition opening in March.
Marian Wardle, a curator of American Art, said Watt is interested in the stories and memories that are often associated with blankets.
"Blankets hold a deep personal meaning for her, as a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians," Wardle said in a press release. "In the Seneca community, as with other indigenous groups, blankets are given to honor those who witness important life events. This connection between blankets and community inspires much of Marie’s artwork."
All wool blankets are welcome, including those that are frayed or have holes. Blanket donations may be delivered to the MOA information desk located inside the east entrance of the museum before Feb. 2. If you choose to share your blanket’s story, you may do so by writing it on a tag provided upon delivering your blanket to the MOA. The tags will be attached to each blanket in the blanket sculpture. Participants will receive a small silkscreen print by the artist in exchange for their blanket contributions. The blankets will be folded and stacked to create a skyward-reaching column and welcoming tower.
If people would like to donate blankets but live outside the Wasatch Front, they may call 801-422-8287 to discuss the feasibility of donating their blankets. For more information, visit moa.byu.edu.
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- LDS Family Services providing free online...
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Book recounts LDS Church history using Legos
- Why I make my kids go to church
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to unite to...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to... 99
- Defending the Faith: Even in science,... 72
- Why I make my kids go to church 55
- Jewish woman launches modest online... 18
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 11
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 8
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years... 7
- Activists: Islamic State group now... 5