BYU Museum of Art
PROVO — Brigham Young University's Museum of Art has issued an open invitation for people to join in the creation of a community art installation that will be displayed on campus.
Artist Marie Watt and the MOA are interested in wool blankets and their stories. These blankets will become part of a blanket sculpture that will be featured in the "Shaping America" exhibition opening in March.
Marian Wardle, a curator of American Art, said Watt is interested in the stories and memories that are often associated with blankets.
"Blankets hold a deep personal meaning for her, as a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians," Wardle said in a press release. "In the Seneca community, as with other indigenous groups, blankets are given to honor those who witness important life events. This connection between blankets and community inspires much of Marie’s artwork."
All wool blankets are welcome, including those that are frayed or have holes. Blanket donations may be delivered to the MOA information desk located inside the east entrance of the museum before Feb. 2. If you choose to share your blanket’s story, you may do so by writing it on a tag provided upon delivering your blanket to the MOA. The tags will be attached to each blanket in the blanket sculpture. Participants will receive a small silkscreen print by the artist in exchange for their blanket contributions. The blankets will be folded and stacked to create a skyward-reaching column and welcoming tower.
If people would like to donate blankets but live outside the Wasatch Front, they may call 801-422-8287 to discuss the feasibility of donating their blankets. For more information, visit moa.byu.edu.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 20