Girls are getting better grades than boys, but is anyone getting a good education?
A new study from the University of Georgia and Columbia University suggests girls get better grades than boys because of their classroom behavior. According to Psychcentral.com, girls in the study were rated higher on six measures: "the child’s attentiveness, task persistence, eagerness to learn, learning independence, flexibility and organization."
Less than two decades ago, researchers were working to help schools better address the needs of girls, who lagged behind, especially in math and science. Girls' quiet, "good" behavior led teachers to ignore them more often and call on them less frequently than their more rambunctious male peers.
One study from 1995 found that "girls receive fewer academic contacts, are asked lower level questions, and are provided less constructive feedback and encouragement than boys — all of which translates into reduced preparation for independent effort."
Now that girls are at the top of the class, questions remain about whether anyone is getting a good education in a school system that prioritizes sitting still, being quiet and taking tests over connection, collaboration, humor and spontaneity.
Gretchen Krebs has taught general and special education in New York and Utah. She is passionate about finding innovative approaches to meet the needs of all students. Contact her at email@example.com
- 'The time is right' for a digital conversion,...
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in key...
- Group outlines long-term plan to bolster...
- Low SAGE scores 'not a surprise' in first...
- Red balloons symbolize students' promise not...
- Alta View Elementary School to be rebuilt
- Salt Lake after-school program gets $500,000...
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- 'The time is right' for a digital... 20
- Low SAGE scores 'not a surprise' in... 19
- Group outlines long-term plan to... 9
- Time Magazine creates controversy over... 8
- Over-testing pushback gets attention of... 4
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for... 4
- Washington school shooter remembered... 1