BYU track: 2013 men's track and field team aims for another top-25 finish
Robison said he's very optimistic about his high jumpers, with Russell Nielson and Dakoda John returning from solid seasons in 2012. Sam Rockwood, who redshirted last season, has impressed Robison in practice, and Robison believes all three jumpers can clear the seven-foot mark this season.
Senior Victor Weirich returns after advancing to the NCAA Western Region Championships in 2012. Weirich earned second-team All-America honors at the NCAA Indoor Championships with a height of 5.30 meters and placed fourth at the MPSF Championships with a height of 5.23 meters. His season best was a 5.50 meter vault at the Blue and Orange Opener at Boise State. In 2011, Weirich finished fourth at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, earning All-America honors.
Braydon Bringhurst is also returning to pole vault for the Cougars. Bringhurst qualified for the NCAA West Regional meet in 2012, clearing 5.20 meters at the Georgia Tech Invitational.
For the javelin, Kyle Baker returns after competing in the NCAA West Regional meet in 2012. Baker qualified for the regional meet by throwing 66.08 meters at the Georgia Tech Invitational, taking second place.
Keith Keller also qualified for the regional meet last year, taking fourth at the Georgia Tech Invitational with a throw of 64.02 meters.
Aaron Clark, Clinton Prestwich and Winston Wilkinson are among the discus throwers for BYU this season. Robison said last year's team didn’t perform as well in the discus as he had hoped, but he has confidence in the talent on the roster this season.
For the hammer throw, Joseph Stull and Jacob Foutz look to be serious contributors. As a senior at Sheldon High School in Portland, Ore., last year, Foutz won the 6A state championship in discus. He was also the discus and shotput champion for his district.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37