BYU track: 2013 men's track and field team aims for another top-25 finish
Robison said he's very optimistic about his high jumpers, with Russell Nielson and Dakoda John returning from solid seasons in 2012. Sam Rockwood, who redshirted last season, has impressed Robison in practice, and Robison believes all three jumpers can clear the seven-foot mark this season.
Senior Victor Weirich returns after advancing to the NCAA Western Region Championships in 2012. Weirich earned second-team All-America honors at the NCAA Indoor Championships with a height of 5.30 meters and placed fourth at the MPSF Championships with a height of 5.23 meters. His season best was a 5.50 meter vault at the Blue and Orange Opener at Boise State. In 2011, Weirich finished fourth at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, earning All-America honors.
Braydon Bringhurst is also returning to pole vault for the Cougars. Bringhurst qualified for the NCAA West Regional meet in 2012, clearing 5.20 meters at the Georgia Tech Invitational.
For the javelin, Kyle Baker returns after competing in the NCAA West Regional meet in 2012. Baker qualified for the regional meet by throwing 66.08 meters at the Georgia Tech Invitational, taking second place.
Keith Keller also qualified for the regional meet last year, taking fourth at the Georgia Tech Invitational with a throw of 64.02 meters.
Aaron Clark, Clinton Prestwich and Winston Wilkinson are among the discus throwers for BYU this season. Robison said last year's team didn’t perform as well in the discus as he had hoped, but he has confidence in the talent on the roster this season.
For the hammer throw, Joseph Stull and Jacob Foutz look to be serious contributors. As a senior at Sheldon High School in Portland, Ore., last year, Foutz won the 6A state championship in discus. He was also the discus and shotput champion for his district.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39