Utah County Attorney Jeffrey Buhman's Guard unit to be deployed
PROVO — Utah County Attorney Jeffrey Buhman has been notified that his Utah Army National Guard Unit will be deployed in March.
Buhman has been in the National Guard for 15 years, but this marks his first deployment since being elected as Utah County attorney in 2006, he said Thursday. He was re-elected in 2010 and his current term continues through 2014.
Buhman said he expects his deployment will be less than a year.
By statute, Buhman is required to notify the Utah County Commission of his pending deployment. The commission then notifies the Utah County Republican Party, as Buhman is a Republican, which will then have a central committee nominate three people to fill Buhman's post during his absence.
Buhman said the County Commission then has 30 days to select someone from those nominated by the central committee. While Buhman is on the central committee and can lobby for his choice of replacement, he said: "I don't get to dictate anything."
He anticipates that he will return in advance of any filing deadlines should he choose to seek a third term.
Buhman is married and has three children.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 35
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20