Be wary of visitors looking for empty homes, police warn
SOUTH WEBER, Davis County — The Davis County Sheriff's Office is warning residents to be aware and on the lookout for potential burglars following an incident in South Weber.
Around 6 p.m. Tuesday, a South Weber resident returned home to find their home had been burglarized by someone who broke the door out of the frame. The intruder apparently went through and searched the home, taking mostly jewelry.
Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said the suspect is a woman who had previously come to the same homeowner's door asking for someone whom the residents did not know. Poulsen said the woman may have been looking for empty homes to burglarize.
While the incident may have been isolated, Poulsen wanted to alert residents. Anyone who notices similar behavior should try to take a photo of the suspicious person, if possible, and call law enforcement.
"People do walk around and do these types of things," she said. "They're checking for empty houses. It's happened in the past and it's happened in surrounding cities and counties."
Poulsen also said residents should be aware of people going door-to-door. Some have a business license and are offering legitimate goods and services, but sometimes the offerings may be more vague and may point to individuals who are trying to find empty houses or get inside homes to see what may be valuable.
"Home residents should always be very cautious when they answer their door and about who they let into their house," Poulsen said. "We want people to be cautious and safe out there."
Anyone with information or tips about the South Weber case or or other incidents is asked to call 801-451-4150. Tips can be kept anonymous.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14