Be wary of visitors looking for empty homes, police warn
SOUTH WEBER, Davis County — The Davis County Sheriff's Office is warning residents to be aware and on the lookout for potential burglars following an incident in South Weber.
Around 6 p.m. Tuesday, a South Weber resident returned home to find their home had been burglarized by someone who broke the door out of the frame. The intruder apparently went through and searched the home, taking mostly jewelry.
Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said the suspect is a woman who had previously come to the same homeowner's door asking for someone whom the residents did not know. Poulsen said the woman may have been looking for empty homes to burglarize.
While the incident may have been isolated, Poulsen wanted to alert residents. Anyone who notices similar behavior should try to take a photo of the suspicious person, if possible, and call law enforcement.
"People do walk around and do these types of things," she said. "They're checking for empty houses. It's happened in the past and it's happened in surrounding cities and counties."
Poulsen also said residents should be aware of people going door-to-door. Some have a business license and are offering legitimate goods and services, but sometimes the offerings may be more vague and may point to individuals who are trying to find empty houses or get inside homes to see what may be valuable.
"Home residents should always be very cautious when they answer their door and about who they let into their house," Poulsen said. "We want people to be cautious and safe out there."
Anyone with information or tips about the South Weber case or or other incidents is asked to call 801-451-4150. Tips can be kept anonymous.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 35
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 25
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Granite School District reaches... 18