Be wary of visitors looking for empty homes, police warn
SOUTH WEBER, Davis County — The Davis County Sheriff's Office is warning residents to be aware and on the lookout for potential burglars following an incident in South Weber.
Around 6 p.m. Tuesday, a South Weber resident returned home to find their home had been burglarized by someone who broke the door out of the frame. The intruder apparently went through and searched the home, taking mostly jewelry.
Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said the suspect is a woman who had previously come to the same homeowner's door asking for someone whom the residents did not know. Poulsen said the woman may have been looking for empty homes to burglarize.
While the incident may have been isolated, Poulsen wanted to alert residents. Anyone who notices similar behavior should try to take a photo of the suspicious person, if possible, and call law enforcement.
"People do walk around and do these types of things," she said. "They're checking for empty houses. It's happened in the past and it's happened in surrounding cities and counties."
Poulsen also said residents should be aware of people going door-to-door. Some have a business license and are offering legitimate goods and services, but sometimes the offerings may be more vague and may point to individuals who are trying to find empty houses or get inside homes to see what may be valuable.
"Home residents should always be very cautious when they answer their door and about who they let into their house," Poulsen said. "We want people to be cautious and safe out there."
Anyone with information or tips about the South Weber case or or other incidents is asked to call 801-451-4150. Tips can be kept anonymous.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Family wins security system, keeps son on...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 58
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 22
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15