Rechtenbach ascends to Taylorsville mayor seat, leaving vacancy on City Council
TAYLORSVILLE — Following a long night of interviews, the Taylorsville City Council named three-term Councilman Jerry Rechtenbach as its pick to take over for the city's outgoing mayor.
Rechtenbach emphasized a need for continuing leadership by someone experienced and familiar with the area's needs. He has been involved with Taylorsville for the past 15 years as a volunteer, planning commissioner and in various elected positions.
The local businessman boasted endorsements from outgoing Mayor Russ Wall, Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder and Michael Jensen, both as a member of the Salt Lake County Council and chief of the Unified Fire Authority.
The mayoral seat was left empty when Wall accepted an invitation from newly elected Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams to serve as director of the restructured Department of Public Works and Regional Development.
Rechtenbach's appointment as mayor leaves a vacancy in the council's District 3 seat. The council will accept applications for that position for the next 14 days.
The 14 hopefuls presented themselves Wednesday night to the City Council and answered a series of interview questions. The council then narrowed the field to three finalists: Rechtenbach; former Mayor Janice Rasmussen, who did not seek a third term in 2006; and accountant Daniel Fazzini, who is also a city planning commissioner.
The diverse pool of applicants included a software developer, a nurse and an Army veteran.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah County teen made bomb threat, other...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 40
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 26
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22