SALT LAKE CITY — It's that time of the year again. Cadbury Creme Eggs hit the stores in spring, candy corn sells through October and January rolls in with Girl Scout Cookies.
And Utahns love their cookies. In 2012, 1.6 million boxes of Girl Scout Cookies were purchased in Utah. It was one of the highest per-girl average sales in the nation, with an average of 335 boxes sold per Girl Scout.
The $790 million business uses the funding for activities such as worldwide travel opportunities, career development and community service projects.
“With each purchase of Girl Scout Cookies, (people) are not just getting a delicious treat, they are helping girls to be future business leaders and to make a difference in their communities,” said Girl Scouts of Utah CEO Cathleen Sparrow.
Last year marked the organization's 100th anniversary, an event that initiated the first redesign of Girl Scout Cookies boxes since 1999.
"The Girl Scout Cookies box redesign is a way to promote Girl Scouting as relevant and contemporary for today's girls," Sparrow said.
The new design features five lifelong skills girls learn in the program: goal-setting, decision-making, money management, people skills and business ethics. Packages highlight moments that show girls working together on activities such as public speaking, greening a park and a cultural dance.
Eight cookie varieties are available at $3.50 per box. They can be preordered Jan. 12-27 through local Girl Scouts in the area or online at www.gsutah.org. Community cookie booth sales will take place March 8-24.
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem could mean...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Ride-sharing business launches despite...
- Utah wind power poised to increase
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- Sierra Club labels Utah oil shale, tar sands...
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 28
- Budget office: Raising federal minimum... 12
- Balancing act: French ban on... 10
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 8
- March another record-setting month for... 5
- Sierra Club labels Utah oil shale, tar... 5
- Striking a balance: Moab's future... 4