SALT LAKE CITY — It's that time of the year again. Cadbury Creme Eggs hit the stores in spring, candy corn sells through October and January rolls in with Girl Scout Cookies.
And Utahns love their cookies. In 2012, 1.6 million boxes of Girl Scout Cookies were purchased in Utah. It was one of the highest per-girl average sales in the nation, with an average of 335 boxes sold per Girl Scout.
The $790 million business uses the funding for activities such as worldwide travel opportunities, career development and community service projects.
“With each purchase of Girl Scout Cookies, (people) are not just getting a delicious treat, they are helping girls to be future business leaders and to make a difference in their communities,” said Girl Scouts of Utah CEO Cathleen Sparrow.
Last year marked the organization's 100th anniversary, an event that initiated the first redesign of Girl Scout Cookies boxes since 1999.
"The Girl Scout Cookies box redesign is a way to promote Girl Scouting as relevant and contemporary for today's girls," Sparrow said.
The new design features five lifelong skills girls learn in the program: goal-setting, decision-making, money management, people skills and business ethics. Packages highlight moments that show girls working together on activities such as public speaking, greening a park and a cultural dance.
Eight cookie varieties are available at $3.50 per box. They can be preordered Jan. 12-27 through local Girl Scouts in the area or online at www.gsutah.org. Community cookie booth sales will take place March 8-24.
- Contractor fined for employing children in...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- MSNBC canceling three of its afternoon programs
- Vivint, SolarCity to create 7,000 jobs over...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 11
- Hillary Clinton offers energy plans,... 10
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 10
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Court orders EPA to relax air-pollution... 4