Police say woman held hostage in Ogden for several days
OGDEN — A man once convicted of holding a woman hostage inside his residence has been arrested in connection with a similar crime.
Ogden police say a woman was held "against her will for several days" in her apartment in the 2500 block of Harrison Boulevard. The woman was able to escape Wednesday and run to a neighbor's house, where she called 911.
When officers arrived, they found that Jonathan Odell, 35, had barricaded himself inside the apartment. He was taken into custody without further incident after brief negotiations, according to Ogden police.
The woman was treated for multiple undisclosed injuries, though they were not life-threatening, police said.
Odell was booked into the Weber County Jail for investigation of attempted homicide, aggravated kidnapping, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, damaging a communication device, and five outstanding warrants.
In 2011, Odell pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted kidnapping, reduced from a first-degree to a third-degree felony, according to Utah court records.
According to charging documents, Odell told the victim in the earlier incident that if she answered the door, "bad things would happen." He then brandished a box-cutter and opened it to expose the blade, according to court records.
Ogden police were sent to the house to conduct a welfare check when the woman did not show up for work.
Odell was sentenced to a prison term that was suspended, and ordered to serve a year in jail. He was also placed on probation. On Dec. 10, a warrant was issued for his arrest for violating that probation.
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Shoppers skip turkey for a shot at...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Warrant reveals new details into BYU soap or...
- A new way to love: Spouses become caregivers...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- University Hospital opens hotel for patients,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 71
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 38
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 28
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 27
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 26