"SHINE!," by Elaine S. Dalton, Deseret Book, $15.99, 58 pages (nf)
“Shine!” by Sister Elaine S. Dalton is an uplifting, short book on personal worth.
Sister Dalton is the Young Women general president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so “Shine!” is directed especially at that group. This book is based on her quote, “Everywhere I go, it seems that I see young women whose eyes shine with the light of the Spirit. These young women know that they are daughters of our Heavenly Father.”
Sister Dalton gives encouraging counsel that is aimed to help young women live up to their potential.
Sister Dalton emphasizes several times throughout the book that all young women are children of God. In addition to short stories, “Shine!” features beautiful images accompanied by powerful quotations — some of which come from her talks at recent general Young Women meetings — or scriptures. Sister Dalton draws from the Bible, the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants to illustrate her points.
Perhaps the most poignant story in the book relates Sister Dalton's experience meeting with LDS Church President David O. McKay. She speaks of the love he had for his wife and how he called her “his queen,” a name she says applies to all young women.
Another memorable part of the book is Sister Dalton's admonition that all young women heed Moroni’s call and be a standard to the nations. It is accompanied by a painting of women holding various flags.
“Shine!” is a simple but valuable book. The words and pictures have the power to boost a young woman’s self-esteem as she realizes who she really is.
Sister Dalton was born and raised in Ogden. She received her bachelor’s degree from BYU. She has previously served as both first and second counselor in the Young Women general presidency.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop Champions,...
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a reminder...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL... 21
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16