SALT LAKE CITY — The Mayor’s Coalition on Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs has invited the public to a lecture on substance abuse prevention.
The Brown Bag Lunch Lecture Series talk will be delivered by Miss Utah USA 2007 and substance abuse prevention advocate Heather Anderson on Friday, Jan. 11, from noon to 1 p.m. in room 326 of the Salt Lake City-County Building, 451 S. State.
Anderson’s presentation for the series, “Losing a Loved One to Substance Abuse,” will explore issues of both personal loss and strategies to help individuals and families address substance abuse issues. In 2005, Anderson’s younger brother died of an accidental drug overdose, and she has since committed herself to education and outreach efforts aimed at preventing similar tragedies in other families.
Anderson, who won the Utah Power of Prevention Award in 2007, has worked extensively with the Utah Council for Crime Prevention, Drug Abuse Resistance Education, McGruff the Crime Dog national campaign and other groups working toward drug abuse prevention.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12