Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman who police say was involved in an armed robbery in Murray that led to a shootout with police was shot and killed Wednesday during another confrontation with officers.
The incident happened about 12:10 p.m. near 974 S. 740 East. Members of the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team had been looking for a couple believed to be involved in multiple armed robberies around the valley, and an attempted homicide of a police officer.
Salt Lake Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson said a South Salt Lake police officer fired at the person whom JCAT officers had stopped on the street, following some sort of confrontation. Josephson did not elaborate on the confrontation or how JCAT and the woman came in contact with each other.
The person shot and killed by police was a woman involved in a weekend robbery at Scaddy's, 5430 S. 900 East, according to Salt Lake police.
Murray police detective Kenny Bass confirmed that the woman was not Sandra Chotia-Thompson, 40, who had been identified as being involved in the restaurant robbery earlier this week.
On Saturday, a Murray police officer approached a person, believed to be a man, who had just robbed Scaddy's restaurant. The person, who was wearing a disguise that included a top hat and funny nose and glasses, ran off as the officer approached.
The officer chased the person, who ran to a waiting getaway car nearby. Just as the robber was getting into the car, which was driven by a woman, the person turned and fired at the officer. The officer was not injured.
Originally, it was reported that a man had shot at the officer. Bass said Wednesday that investigators did not know if it was a man or woman because of the disguise.
Salt Lake police Wednesday said two women robbed the restaurant, and the person shot and killed by a JCAT officer was one of those suspects.
No officers were injured in Wednesday's shootout.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- Police looking for man who allegedly fired at...
- Police searching for two men following...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 75
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 29
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14