BYU tennis: men's team hosts home opener against Utah State and Weber State
PROVO, Utah — The No. 58 BYU men’s tennis team hosts in-state opponents Utah State and Weber State for its season opener Saturday at noon and 5:30 p.m., respectively, at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“This year we start out with a bang,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We don’t normally play this early, but with our schedule this year, I thought it would be helpful to bump up our traditional home opening match. We’re returning every player but one this year, and everybody is healthy and ready to go.”
BYU owns an all-time winning record against both of these Utah teams. The Cougars have never lost to the Aggies in 48 meetings and are 58-5 against the Wildcats.
The Cougars, who have a 45-5 record at home over the last five years, have three players regionally ranked to start the season. Junior Patrick Kawka ranks No. 12, freshman John Pearce starts at No. 16 and sophomore Keaton Cullimore comes in at No. 18.
Two of BYU’s doubles teams are also ranked, including the No. 9 duo of junior Travis Fillmore and sophomore Francis Sargeant and No. 10 Cullimore and Pearce.
Admission is free to Saturday's matches. Pizza and prizes will be provided, including autographed “Y” logo tennis balls and autographed posters.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 37