BYU tennis: men's team hosts home opener against Utah State and Weber State
PROVO, Utah — The No. 58 BYU men’s tennis team hosts in-state opponents Utah State and Weber State for its season opener Saturday at noon and 5:30 p.m., respectively, at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“This year we start out with a bang,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We don’t normally play this early, but with our schedule this year, I thought it would be helpful to bump up our traditional home opening match. We’re returning every player but one this year, and everybody is healthy and ready to go.”
BYU owns an all-time winning record against both of these Utah teams. The Cougars have never lost to the Aggies in 48 meetings and are 58-5 against the Wildcats.
The Cougars, who have a 45-5 record at home over the last five years, have three players regionally ranked to start the season. Junior Patrick Kawka ranks No. 12, freshman John Pearce starts at No. 16 and sophomore Keaton Cullimore comes in at No. 18.
Two of BYU’s doubles teams are also ranked, including the No. 9 duo of junior Travis Fillmore and sophomore Francis Sargeant and No. 10 Cullimore and Pearce.
Admission is free to Saturday's matches. Pizza and prizes will be provided, including autographed “Y” logo tennis balls and autographed posters.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33