TOBY TALBOT, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Financially, older populations have a bad reputation for their effects on the economy, but living in an old-age city is a benefit according to a CNBC article.
In a recent study by New Geography, Salt Lake City is listed as the 50th oldest metropolitan area, with 12.7 percent of the population over 60. This is a 19.3 percent growth in the past 10 years. Pittsburgh is the oldest-aged in the nation, which means 23.6 percent of the population is 60 or older.
As the increased need of health care productivity grows, so do the technologies that go with it. In an effort to increase productivity to lower costs, congress passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which provides $19 billion to promote use in technology.
“The aging population is one of the most key issues facing the U.S. and most other Western countries. Given the high level of inefficiency in the health care ecosystem today, there is significant potential to reduce costs while still protecting the financial interest of all the stakeholders,” said Rizwan Koita, author of the CNBC article and co-founder of CitiusTech.
Judith Healy, in a study on benefits coming from the aging baby boomers, said the typical economic issues that are linked with an aging population may not be completely true.
“No relationship is evident between population aging and the level of health costs in industrialized countries,” Healy said in the study.
As an Australian, she looked at the affects from an international view, observing multiple countries. In Italy, which has one of the highest percentages of the population over 65 years old, the health spending proportion is almost the lowest of the six countries analyzed, including Australia, Germany, Japan, Sweden and Switzerland.
As health industries grow in productivity, costs can go down thanks to the demand that comes from the aging baby boomers.
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Kids learn the ABCs of managing money
- Why college matters more today than 20 years ago
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- US home sales bounced back in March,... 1
- Balancing act: Son's comment teaches a... 1
- Why college matters more today than 20... 1