PROVO, Utah — Following a successful start to the 2013 season last week, the BYU women’s gymnastics team hosts Utah State in the first home meet of the year Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Smith Fieldhouse.
“The first meet was a good one for us; we made a couple of mistakes but it was a really good first meet,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “This one is our first home meet and everyone should be really excited and looking forward to it.”
BYU topped No. 9 Oregon State in last week’s Cancun Classic but fell short of No. 10 Michigan. The Cougars scored a solid 194.475 but are looking to build on that heading into Saturday.
“We’d like to get into the 195’s and we think we are capable and pushing toward that,” Cattermole said. “To do it we need to stick all of our routines. If you do that the rest of it you can just let take care of itself.”
Strong showings in each of the events will allow for a good foundation as the season progresses. In addition to a strong veteran group, several freshmen will be counted on for contributions this season as the newcomers impressed in their collegiate debut last week.
The meet will be televised live on BYUtv from the Smith Fieldhouse on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 1 p.m. MT. Follow BYUcougars.com for stats and scores from the meet.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37