PROVO, Utah — Following a successful start to the 2013 season last week, the BYU women’s gymnastics team hosts Utah State in the first home meet of the year Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Smith Fieldhouse.
“The first meet was a good one for us; we made a couple of mistakes but it was a really good first meet,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “This one is our first home meet and everyone should be really excited and looking forward to it.”
BYU topped No. 9 Oregon State in last week’s Cancun Classic but fell short of No. 10 Michigan. The Cougars scored a solid 194.475 but are looking to build on that heading into Saturday.
“We’d like to get into the 195’s and we think we are capable and pushing toward that,” Cattermole said. “To do it we need to stick all of our routines. If you do that the rest of it you can just let take care of itself.”
Strong showings in each of the events will allow for a good foundation as the season progresses. In addition to a strong veteran group, several freshmen will be counted on for contributions this season as the newcomers impressed in their collegiate debut last week.
The meet will be televised live on BYUtv from the Smith Fieldhouse on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 1 p.m. MT. Follow BYUcougars.com for stats and scores from the meet.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28