PROVO, Utah — Following a successful start to the 2013 season last week, the BYU women’s gymnastics team hosts Utah State in the first home meet of the year Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Smith Fieldhouse.
“The first meet was a good one for us; we made a couple of mistakes but it was a really good first meet,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “This one is our first home meet and everyone should be really excited and looking forward to it.”
BYU topped No. 9 Oregon State in last week’s Cancun Classic but fell short of No. 10 Michigan. The Cougars scored a solid 194.475 but are looking to build on that heading into Saturday.
“We’d like to get into the 195’s and we think we are capable and pushing toward that,” Cattermole said. “To do it we need to stick all of our routines. If you do that the rest of it you can just let take care of itself.”
Strong showings in each of the events will allow for a good foundation as the season progresses. In addition to a strong veteran group, several freshmen will be counted on for contributions this season as the newcomers impressed in their collegiate debut last week.
The meet will be televised live on BYUtv from the Smith Fieldhouse on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 1 p.m. MT. Follow BYUcougars.com for stats and scores from the meet.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19