UVU basketball: Jensen earns fifth Great West Player of the Week honor
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after her performance last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen led UVU to two victories last week by averaging 20.5 points and 13.5 rebounds per game in a 70-60 road triumph at Air Force and a 71-66 overtime home win over Texas-Pan American in the Wolverines' GWC opener. The senior from Stansbury Park, Utah, was the leading scorer and rebounder in both games by tallying 21 and 14 against the Broncs and 20 and 13 versus the Falcons of the Mountain West Conference. Jensen's two more double-doubles now give her 12 for the season, which is good enough to rank her second in the nation in that category. Jensen currently leads the Great West in rebounding with 12.7 boards per game and is second in scoring with 17.3 ppg.
Others nominated were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt and Texas-Pan American's Kaelynn Boyd.
The conference honor is Jensen's fifth of the season and 10th of her career. The UVU senior was also named the College Sports Madness Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week on Monday.
Jensen and the Wolverines return to the court Saturday when conference foe Chicago State comes to the UCCU Center for a 3 p.m. tipoff.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33