Drunken man pointed gun at others while driving, police say
HERRIMAN — A man who police say was waving a gun at other vehicles while speeding and driving drunk was arrested over the weekend.
Stephen Douglas Cook, 23, was arrested Sunday for investigation of using a weapon to threaten others, disorderly conduct, DUI, reckless driving, having a weapon while under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.
Cook was driving along the Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 11400 South about 6 p.m. on Sunday. At least four witnesses called 911 saying he was speeding and driving erratically while holding a handgun.
"Witnesses described the male 'waving the gun around' and at one point holding it out the window of his vehicle. More than one witness also indicated the male 'racked' a round into the chamber while staring or smiling at them while driving down the road," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Investigators were able to trace a license plate number provided by witnesses to a home in Herriman. An officer in the area spotted Cook's vehicle traveling 91 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report states.
Police determined that Cook was under the influence of alcohol and a handgun was found in his vehicle. Cook told police that he had only been looking at the gun at a stop light, according to the report. A blood draw was also taken for further analysis.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21