Drunken man pointed gun at others while driving, police say
HERRIMAN — A man who police say was waving a gun at other vehicles while speeding and driving drunk was arrested over the weekend.
Stephen Douglas Cook, 23, was arrested Sunday for investigation of using a weapon to threaten others, disorderly conduct, DUI, reckless driving, having a weapon while under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.
Cook was driving along the Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 11400 South about 6 p.m. on Sunday. At least four witnesses called 911 saying he was speeding and driving erratically while holding a handgun.
"Witnesses described the male 'waving the gun around' and at one point holding it out the window of his vehicle. More than one witness also indicated the male 'racked' a round into the chamber while staring or smiling at them while driving down the road," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Investigators were able to trace a license plate number provided by witnesses to a home in Herriman. An officer in the area spotted Cook's vehicle traveling 91 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report states.
Police determined that Cook was under the influence of alcohol and a handgun was found in his vehicle. Cook told police that he had only been looking at the gun at a stop light, according to the report. A blood draw was also taken for further analysis.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15