Drunken man pointed gun at others while driving, police say
HERRIMAN — A man who police say was waving a gun at other vehicles while speeding and driving drunk was arrested over the weekend.
Stephen Douglas Cook, 23, was arrested Sunday for investigation of using a weapon to threaten others, disorderly conduct, DUI, reckless driving, having a weapon while under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.
Cook was driving along the Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 11400 South about 6 p.m. on Sunday. At least four witnesses called 911 saying he was speeding and driving erratically while holding a handgun.
"Witnesses described the male 'waving the gun around' and at one point holding it out the window of his vehicle. More than one witness also indicated the male 'racked' a round into the chamber while staring or smiling at them while driving down the road," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Investigators were able to trace a license plate number provided by witnesses to a home in Herriman. An officer in the area spotted Cook's vehicle traveling 91 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report states.
Police determined that Cook was under the influence of alcohol and a handgun was found in his vehicle. Cook told police that he had only been looking at the gun at a stop light, according to the report. A blood draw was also taken for further analysis.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10