Drunken man pointed gun at others while driving, police say
HERRIMAN — A man who police say was waving a gun at other vehicles while speeding and driving drunk was arrested over the weekend.
Stephen Douglas Cook, 23, was arrested Sunday for investigation of using a weapon to threaten others, disorderly conduct, DUI, reckless driving, having a weapon while under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.
Cook was driving along the Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 11400 South about 6 p.m. on Sunday. At least four witnesses called 911 saying he was speeding and driving erratically while holding a handgun.
"Witnesses described the male 'waving the gun around' and at one point holding it out the window of his vehicle. More than one witness also indicated the male 'racked' a round into the chamber while staring or smiling at them while driving down the road," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Investigators were able to trace a license plate number provided by witnesses to a home in Herriman. An officer in the area spotted Cook's vehicle traveling 91 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report states.
Police determined that Cook was under the influence of alcohol and a handgun was found in his vehicle. Cook told police that he had only been looking at the gun at a stop light, according to the report. A blood draw was also taken for further analysis.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Sprinkler line floods Eastmont Middle School,...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20