Drunken man pointed gun at others while driving, police say
HERRIMAN — A man who police say was waving a gun at other vehicles while speeding and driving drunk was arrested over the weekend.
Stephen Douglas Cook, 23, was arrested Sunday for investigation of using a weapon to threaten others, disorderly conduct, DUI, reckless driving, having a weapon while under the influence, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.
Cook was driving along the Bangerter Highway from 5400 South to 11400 South about 6 p.m. on Sunday. At least four witnesses called 911 saying he was speeding and driving erratically while holding a handgun.
"Witnesses described the male 'waving the gun around' and at one point holding it out the window of his vehicle. More than one witness also indicated the male 'racked' a round into the chamber while staring or smiling at them while driving down the road," a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Investigators were able to trace a license plate number provided by witnesses to a home in Herriman. An officer in the area spotted Cook's vehicle traveling 91 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report states.
Police determined that Cook was under the influence of alcohol and a handgun was found in his vehicle. Cook told police that he had only been looking at the gun at a stop light, according to the report. A blood draw was also taken for further analysis.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22