Utah Utes football: Walk-on linebacker Afa Bridenstine dismissed from Utah football team
SALT LAKE CITY — Afa Bridenstine, a walk-on linebacker sentenced for assault in a road rage incident that took place in Centerville in September, is no longer part of the University of Utah football program.
“Needless to say, the report on Afa is very disappointing,” Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement. “He has been dismissed from our team effective immediately.”
Bridenstine, a 6-foot, 230-pound freshman from Kahuku, Hawaii, never played a single down for the Utes. The 24-year-old entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor assault charge in December for his involvement in an incident that left a 20-year-old man unconscious in a McDonald’s parking lot on the afternoon of Sept. 22.
The Standard-Examiner is reporting that Bridenstine was sentenced Monday by 2nd District Court Judge John R. Morris to 18 months probation, 50 hours of community service, and a cognitive thinking class to control his anger. The possibility of restitution remains open.
The newspaper also reported that Bridenstine was arrested Nov. 4 and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. He entered a guilty plea Dec. 26 and was sentenced to 48 hours of community service and a $1,000 fine.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19