Utah Utes football: Walk-on linebacker Afa Bridenstine dismissed from Utah football team
SALT LAKE CITY — Afa Bridenstine, a walk-on linebacker sentenced for assault in a road rage incident that took place in Centerville in September, is no longer part of the University of Utah football program.
“Needless to say, the report on Afa is very disappointing,” Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement. “He has been dismissed from our team effective immediately.”
Bridenstine, a 6-foot, 230-pound freshman from Kahuku, Hawaii, never played a single down for the Utes. The 24-year-old entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor assault charge in December for his involvement in an incident that left a 20-year-old man unconscious in a McDonald’s parking lot on the afternoon of Sept. 22.
The Standard-Examiner is reporting that Bridenstine was sentenced Monday by 2nd District Court Judge John R. Morris to 18 months probation, 50 hours of community service, and a cognitive thinking class to control his anger. The possibility of restitution remains open.
The newspaper also reported that Bridenstine was arrested Nov. 4 and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. He entered a guilty plea Dec. 26 and was sentenced to 48 hours of community service and a $1,000 fine.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34