Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
PROVO — An 11-year-old boy remains unconscious after suffering cardiac arrest during an indoor soccer match.
Alan Zapata's teammates and coach said the boy had been playing well during Thursday's match, and they didn't notice that anything was wrong.
“He looked fine to me,” said teammate Candelario Arc. “He was playing very hard. He scored a lot of goals. He looked good.”
During the match, Alan asked to sit out because he had a headache, coach Ludwig Sanchez said.
"And then he went down, started breathing fast, and then suddenly stopped breathing at all," Sanchez said.
Alan had gone into cardiac arrest. Coaches performed CPR until paramedics arrived. He was taken to the emergency room before being airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center.
Tests to figure out what caused the boy to go into cardiac arrest were scheduled to be performed, but no new information on his condition was available Monday night.
His mother, Eyistbeth Hernandez, said her son was very healthy prior to the soccer match. The family is still waiting to hear what caused Alan to collapse.
“I don’t have any words,” Hernandez said through a translator. “It's so difficult for a mom.”
"Now that I see him in bed, I just feel like I should have spent more time with him," said friend Benjamin Ortiz.
Because Alan's family doesn't have medical insurance, friends of the family have set up an account where people interested in helping pay for the boy's medical bills can donate. Donations can be made under the name "Utah Futbol Club Alan Zapata" at any Wells Fargo location.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 90
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18