NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University's Ben Aird has been named Great West Conference Player of the Week after last week's triple-double performance in the GWC opener. The award was announced Monday by the conference office.
Aird finished with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 10 blocks in the league's opening game, a 57-52 loss to NJIT. The 26-point output matched his career high and the 10 blocks broke his own school mark, which was set earlier this season against Troy.
The junior from Bountiful, Utah, is the second player in UVU's Division I history to achieve the triple-double as his teammate, Nick Thompson, managed the feat Dec. 28 against Austin Peay.
Utah Valley plays a non-conference contest Wednesday at UMKC in Kansas City before returning home to host Houston Baptist in Great West action Saturday.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 82
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 57
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 41
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30