This desire to reach out and lift those around him isn’t part of what he does — it’s part of who he is. And why wouldn’t he take those opportunities when they present themselves? He’d asked for them.
I’ve wondered why the memory lingered longer than most, and why it impacted my friend and me. But like any session in any lab, sometimes the lessons take time to develop.
I now recognize that President Shake did more that day than simply see a soul who may have needed the personal interaction. Without knowing it, he taught all of us watching how to listen.
When I asked him for his permission to share this experience with a worldwide Deseret News audience, he was predictably modest. "God does his work through any and all who are willing," he said. "What Mike Shake or Jason Wright do when working in the lab is the work and glory of the lab master. You have my permission to use anything I do or say that invites and encourages God's work to move forward."
I'm thankful that he saw an opportunity to continue teaching and provide yet another hands-on lesson.
The world is blessed by people like Mike Shake who are willing to work in life's spiritual labs and who remind us that there's more to religious learning than studying scriptures and attending class.
And the world is blessed that the spiritual learning lab is always open and the spirit is always willing to teach through those we admire.
We just have to enroll.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The 13th Day of Christmas." He can be reached at email@example.com or jasonfwright.com.
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- The Clean Cut: Lexi Walker sings Christmas...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 52
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 46
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- Christmas without Jesus 20
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13