Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- More Americans spending at least half their...
- How to fight the prom price war
- Rural hospitals struggle to stay open, adapt...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on the poor
- Dave Ramsey says: Personal finance is all...
- Crowdfunding: Where social media meets...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- Pope echoes feminist anthem of equal... 6
- More Americans spending at least half... 5
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers... 4
- We finally understand what robots mean... 2
- Exxon's 1Q profit falls 46 percent amid... 1
- Rural hospitals struggle to stay open,... 1