Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4