Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Are schools preparing students for the new...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Renovation Solutions: Top remodeling projects...
- Young widows speak out about managing grief,...
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Are schools preparing students for the... 5
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 5
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- Loans, taxes, regulations on small... 1