Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 10 things to know about corporate... 30
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- It's about time the government... 11
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 4
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3