Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- There's a video for that: How YouTube brings...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- All families need to have the financial 'talk'
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 11
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3