Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 4 reasons why you shouldn't shop on Black Friday
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- The best Black Friday deals of 2014
- Can a cash grocery budget save you money?
- Our complete guide to Black Friday, Cyber...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- 5 things homebuyers should be thankful for...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 7
- Immigration reform will boost the... 6
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 4
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best... 2
- US stocks inch further into record... 1
- 3 Reasons holiday shoppers will spend... 1