Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1