Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 9 reasons you may never retire
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- How the 'world's best counterfeiter' got away...
- Wal-Mart vs. Target: Wal-Mart ups ante on...
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County for...
- 4 reasons it pays to be thin and assertive,...
- Smaller down payments are the wrong solution...
- Creative kitchen remodel ideas for every budget
- The marriage between economic success... 5
- How one woman got rid of $20,000 in... 3
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- 5 questions to ask on the way to the ER 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Smartphone data encryption causing... 2
- Churches preach against payday loans,... 2
- This billionaire is going to die broke... 2