Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Phone lines are open: Customers camp out for...
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- How much America wants to be taxed 6
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4