Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- 30 best cities for starting a business
- Top 10 cities for smallest income inequality gap
- Here's why your teen can't find work
- Which cities have the best income equality?...
- Money mistakes to avoid in your 20s
- Why the rise of smart machines could...
- How will students pay for soaring debt? Tax...
- States explore free community college
- How will students pay for soaring debt?... 79
- Why the rise of smart machines could... 18
- States explore free community college 14
- Which cities have the best income... 12
- Here's why your teen can't find work 12
- Money mistakes to avoid in your 20s 7
- Borrowers using student loans for cash,... 5
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and... 4