Alex Brandon, The Associated Press
To balance the budget, Congress raised taxes on the highest earners in America, but a YouTube video by Learn Liberty posits that raising taxes doesn't necessarily increase government revenue.
Antony Davies, the speaker in the November 2012 video, says the way to increase revenue is to simplify the tax code, so people stop spending time and money to avoid taxes. Only a few specific taxes are correlated with higher revenue.
For instance, tax revenue rises when Social Security and Medicare taxes are increased, because those taxes are harder to avoid. But, the video says, higher rates on Social Security are linked to an increase in unemployment a year after they are raised, because it becomes more expensive for employers to hire.
- The most charitable states
- Religion contributes to Utah being most...
- Degrees worth investing in
- As times get better can you keep a leash on...
- 9 important money tips every dad should teach...
- Balancing act: Who is in control of your...
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Millennials relying on prepaid cards and...
- Religion contributes to Utah being most... 24
- The future of higher education is... 18
- Want a better return on your college... 17
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey... 10
- New BYU study looks at the power of... 6
- 9 important money tips every dad should... 5
- Sequester cuts hit poor, elderly,... 4
- Is Investing the Same as Gambling? 2