MURRAY — Police have identified a woman who they believe may have been involved in a restaurant robbery, carjacking and shootout with an officer Saturday night.
Murray police officer Kenny Bass said investigators were able to confirm that Sandra Chotia-Thompson, 40, was operating a vehicle just before the vehicle was used in a robbery of the Scaddy's restaurant at 5430 S. 900 East.
Shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday, a man wearing a dark trench coat, glasses and fake nose entered the restaurant and robbed it at gunpoint. He then left in a vehicle that was waiting outside and being driven by a woman.
Soon after, a police officer saw a man who matched the robber's description entering a Family Dollar store. When the officer approached him, the man fled, prompting the officer to chase him down 1300 South.
Before entering a waiting vehicle, the man fired three shots at the officer, who returned fire, police said. The man and woman then drove around the block, abandoned their vehicle and carjacked a man who was getting into his silver Dodge Caliber that was parked in his garage near 6150 S. 1300 East, Bass said.
Officers have not yet identified the gunman, but believe Chotia-Thompson had been driving the vehicle just prior to the robbery.
"We know she was in it and had possession of it," he said.
The man is described as a white male in his early 20s, roughly 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a thin build. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Murray police at 801-840-4000.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9