Utah Jazz: Rim-rattling swing of momentum sparks Nuggets' rout
This time, however, the Jazz didn't do that.
That five-point swing proved to be as close as Utah got, as the Nuggets dominated the fourth quarter while going up by as many as 24 points.
Referee Bennie Adams told Corbin that Hayward "held onto the rim," prompting the offensive interference call. The ref wouldn't respond to Hayward, who said he didn't touch the ball after the initial dunk.
The officiating crew, led by Tom Washington, also denied the Deseret News' postgame request to get a clarifying explanation.
"I thought if a guy hits you going to the basket, you got a right to brace yourself," Corbin said. "(Hayward) grabbed the rim so he wouldn't flip, and they didn't see it that way."
Corbin was equally disgusted, however, by the Jazz's lack of energy and pace. He didn't want to hear the excuses about traveling or it being the second night of a back-to-back, either.
"We've got to be tougher," Corbin said. "You've got to fight your way through that. We didn't fight our way through that tonight."
By snapping Utah's two-game mini-winning spree, the Nuggets improved to 19-16 after falling to Minnesota at home on Wednesday.
"You've got to give them credit. They knocked down some shots," Hayward said. "I think we gave them way too many easy looks in the paint. We let them get a rhythm going at the free-throw line as well (28-for-39). We've just got to get better."
NOTES: Faried finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds despite being sick. … Millsap led the Jazz in scoring with 15 points on 4-for-12 shooting. He also had seven rebounds, four steals, three assists and three blocked shots with four turnovers. … Only four Utah players hit double figures. … The Jazz won't practice today and return to action Monday at home against Dirk Nowitzki-led Dallas.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25