BYU men's basketball: Matt Carlino shines again for Cougars in win
Lance Iversen, AP
"Kind of," Carlino said wryly after the Cougars' 80-76 victory over San Francisco on Saturday night.
The sophomore guard, who poured in a career-high 30 points last year in a one-point victory in this arena over the Dons, scored a season-high 22 points for the Cougars.
Carlino had scored his previous season-high, 21, in BYU's 92-51 blowout of Loyola Marymount in Provo on Thursday.
Not only did Carlino give the Cougars their first lead of the second half, 70-69, he also sank a pair of free throws with 2.7 seconds remaining to clinch the BYU victory.
"Matt was huge," said Cougar guard Tyler Haws, who also scored 22 points. "He made some big steals for us that he turned into easy layups."
Carlino hit 8-of-15 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers, and recorded seven rebounds, four assists and five steals.
"I just do whatever I can to help the team win," Carlino said.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 86
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 44
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8