BYU men's basketball: Matt Carlino shines again for Cougars in win
Lance Iversen, AP
"Kind of," Carlino said wryly after the Cougars' 80-76 victory over San Francisco on Saturday night.
The sophomore guard, who poured in a career-high 30 points last year in a one-point victory in this arena over the Dons, scored a season-high 22 points for the Cougars.
Carlino had scored his previous season-high, 21, in BYU's 92-51 blowout of Loyola Marymount in Provo on Thursday.
Not only did Carlino give the Cougars their first lead of the second half, 70-69, he also sank a pair of free throws with 2.7 seconds remaining to clinch the BYU victory.
"Matt was huge," said Cougar guard Tyler Haws, who also scored 22 points. "He made some big steals for us that he turned into easy layups."
Carlino hit 8-of-15 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers, and recorded seven rebounds, four assists and five steals.
"I just do whatever I can to help the team win," Carlino said.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37