BYU men's basketball: Matt Carlino shines again for Cougars in win
Lance Iversen, AP
"Kind of," Carlino said wryly after the Cougars' 80-76 victory over San Francisco on Saturday night.
The sophomore guard, who poured in a career-high 30 points last year in a one-point victory in this arena over the Dons, scored a season-high 22 points for the Cougars.
Carlino had scored his previous season-high, 21, in BYU's 92-51 blowout of Loyola Marymount in Provo on Thursday.
Not only did Carlino give the Cougars their first lead of the second half, 70-69, he also sank a pair of free throws with 2.7 seconds remaining to clinch the BYU victory.
"Matt was huge," said Cougar guard Tyler Haws, who also scored 22 points. "He made some big steals for us that he turned into easy layups."
Carlino hit 8-of-15 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers, and recorded seven rebounds, four assists and five steals.
"I just do whatever I can to help the team win," Carlino said.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35