BYU men's basketball: Matt Carlino shines again for Cougars in win
Lance Iversen, AP
"Kind of," Carlino said wryly after the Cougars' 80-76 victory over San Francisco on Saturday night.
The sophomore guard, who poured in a career-high 30 points last year in a one-point victory in this arena over the Dons, scored a season-high 22 points for the Cougars.
Carlino had scored his previous season-high, 21, in BYU's 92-51 blowout of Loyola Marymount in Provo on Thursday.
Not only did Carlino give the Cougars their first lead of the second half, 70-69, he also sank a pair of free throws with 2.7 seconds remaining to clinch the BYU victory.
"Matt was huge," said Cougar guard Tyler Haws, who also scored 22 points. "He made some big steals for us that he turned into easy layups."
Carlino hit 8-of-15 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers, and recorded seven rebounds, four assists and five steals.
"I just do whatever I can to help the team win," Carlino said.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19