Lance Iversen, AP
"Kind of," Carlino said wryly after the Cougars' 80-76 victory over San Francisco on Saturday night.
The sophomore guard, who poured in a career-high 30 points last year in a one-point victory in this arena over the Dons, scored a season-high 22 points for the Cougars.
Carlino had scored his previous season-high, 21, in BYU's 92-51 blowout of Loyola Marymount in Provo on Thursday.
Not only did Carlino give the Cougars their first lead of the second half, 70-69, he also sank a pair of free throws with 2.7 seconds remaining to clinch the BYU victory.
"Matt was huge," said Cougar guard Tyler Haws, who also scored 22 points. "He made some big steals for us that he turned into easy layups."
Carlino hit 8-of-15 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers, and recorded seven rebounds, four assists and five steals.
"I just do whatever I can to help the team win," Carlino said.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 65
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43