MURRAY — A man and woman robbed a restaurant and exchanged gunfire with an officer Saturday night before carjacking a vehicle from a garage, police said.
The incident began about 6:10 p.m. when a man wearing a dark trench coat and fake glasses with a fake nose walked into Scaddy's, 5430 S. 900 East, and robbed the restaurant at gunpoint, said Murray Police Lt. Tom Martin.
The man drove off in a waiting getaway vehicle driven by a woman in her 30s, who was also wearing a dark coat.
About 10 minutes later, a Murray police officer spotted a man matching the same description near the entrance of the Family Dollar Store, 6150 S. 1300 East. As the officer approached the man to question him, he ran off.
The officer chased the man down 1300 East. As the suspected robber approached his waiting getaway vehicle, he turned and fired three shots and the officer. The officer, who was not hit, returned at least three shots of his own, Martin said. Detectives do not believe the suspects were hit, although their vehicle was hit.
The officer and the man were about 25 feet away from each other during their gun battle, he said.
After the suspected robbers drove off, they drove around the corner in a residential neighborhood, abandoned their vehicle and carjacked a man who was just getting into his vehicle inside his garage, Martin said.
Investigators were still looking Saturday night for a silver 2010 Dodge Caliber with Utah license plate B956JL.
The gunman was described as a white male in his early 20s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall with a thin build. The only description of the woman was white and in her 30s.
Anyone with information can call police at 801-840-4000.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 129
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 40
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 21
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12