, Family photo
SALT LAKE CITY — Bieber Fever met Millie Mania on Saturday.
Millie Flamm, 7, was crushed when she had to sell her Justin Bieber concert tickets. Millie has been battling leukemia for three years. She had planned on attending Bieber's concert Saturday night at Energy Solutions Arena until she relapsed two weeks ago.
What happened after that was an incredible online and social media campaign started by friends and family members that went viral. Thousands of people campaigned to have Millie meet Bieber.
Saturday morning, Amanda Flamm, Millie's mother, said they didn't know if the meeting would happen, and they weren't sure Millie would even be able to meet him. She had been running a fever and was on oxygen.
But at the last minute, the efforts paid off as Bieber met with Millie and her family in private.
"All of a sudden it pulled through and we were able to do a really intimate little meeting with just her and us and Justin and it was incredible and he was so sweet to her," Millie's mother said. "He walked in and her whole face just lit up, and she turned around and hugged her dad, and then he ran over and came next to her and gave her a big hug."
Bieber sang Millie's song to her, "Baby," while holding her hand and gave her his guitar pic.
"She is squeezing on to it with all her might and will not let it go," Amanda Flamm said.
Bieber also gave her a kiss on the cheek before leaving, prompting Millie to tell her mother, "'You are never going to wash my face again.'"
Amanda Flamm was almost speechless when asked about the online campaign.
"I have no words. There is no way to say thank you to everybody who helped make this happen," she said. "I have no words but thank you, and that's not enough."
The meeting will also help Millie as she continues her cancer treatment, her mother said.
"It just has re-energized all of us. We are ready to keep going and fight harder with all this backing and this fun thing that has happened today, and keep going and keep fighting."
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 23
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16