“Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem” by Melissa Lemon is a twist on the well-known fairy tale that is geared toward young women. It has a fantastical storyline that is sweet, yet sometimes over the top.
Readers are introduced to Katiyana Whyte, a young woman who is forbidden to leave the apple orchard that she lives on.
Raised by her uncle, Katiyana believes that the outside world is extremely dangerous. Little does she know that her uncle forbids her to leave because she is the lost princess and needs protection from her evil stepmother.
When life on the orchard becomes unbearable for Katiyana, she takes the advice of her friend Jeremy and flees her childhood home. She eventually finds refuge in the Fluttering Forest with seven dwarves.
Soon enough, the evil queen finds out that Katiyana still lives. The queen sends a servant to kill the princess, but Katiyana is protected by a spell that was cast when she was a child. The only way Katiyana can be killed is if the queen does it herself.
In the meantime, Katiyana keeps waiting for Jeremy to come and whisk her away like he promised the day she left the orchard. The longer he takes, the more Katiyana believes he is not coming.
“Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem” is a simple romance story — young women will think Jeremy is irresistible. Jeremy is not the only character that readers will love — the seven dwarves provide much needed humor.
The wording throughout the book is easy to understand and the language is clean. Many young adult readers should have no problem reading this book in a matter of hours.
Though the book is entertaining, it seems Snow White is one of the princesses who have been dominating popular media. There are so many different versions of the Snow White story that some readers will find themselves wishing for a twist on a different fairy tale.
All in all, while “Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem” may be rooted in an old story, it is still a worthy read for those who like sentimental stories.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The Clean Cut: Video of mom-and-baby workout...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0
- UTubers: Devin Graham re-creates... 0