Seth Wenig, Associated Press
As cyber attacks on online banking sites continue, PNC Bank apologized to customers who have been adversely affected by the bank’s efforts to stop these attacks, according to an article by The Tribune Live.
But the good news for customers is that these attacks have little effect on them, other than sometimes preventing them from accessing banking sites, according to an article by NBC news.
Attacks started earlier in the fall but started again in December. Several large banking companies have been affected by what is called a distributed denial-of-service attack, including Wells Fargo, KeyCorp and U.S. Bank.
"There is nothing an organization, a bank, a newspaper, or anyone can do to prevent attempts to phish or hack or do denial-of-service attacks," said Key spokeswoman Lynne Woodman in a Cleveland.com article.
"But customers do not need to be afraid for the safety of their money," Woodman said. "The banks are turning themselves inside out to keep people's money safe."
These attacks haven’t accessed personal information from the sites.
In this type of attack, a website is flooded with high-volume traffic from the attackers, which the bank tries to block. This creates shutouts for a “small percentage of legitimate ... customers for an extended period,” as PNC said to Fox Business.
A group offended by a video mocking the Muslim prophet Muhammad has claimed responsibility for the attacks, according to the Cleveland article.
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4