SOUTH SALT LAKE — A "very intoxicated" man stole a van Thursday night with a 12-year-old still inside, before crashing into a parked car, according to police.
About 8 p.m., a van drove up to Subway, 3305 S. State. One woman got out to go inside, leaving the car running so a 32-year-old woman in the passenger seat and a 12-year-old boy in the backseat could stay warm.
As the woman was walking in, an intoxicated man who was being disruptive was being kicked out of the restaurant, said South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller. Bradley James Kane, 32, left the restaurant and got into the now vacant driver's seat of the idling vehicle.
The adult passenger said Kane made "an incoherent utterance." She then got out of the van to get her friend, Keller said. After she got out, the man drove off with the 12-year-old asleep in the back.
As the man was starting to drive down State Street, the boy was awakened by the speeding car, saw who was driving, and told the man he was "going to call the cops," Keller said.
Kane crashed into a parked car one block away from the Subway. The van kept moving at a slow speed, dragging Kane who got part of his pants caught on the vehicle and couldn't get out, Keller said. The 12-year-old jumped in the driver's seat and stopped the vehicle.
Kane was able to free himself and started to run off, but was quickly arrested by officers responding to the scene. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of DUI with a child in the vehicle, reckless endangerment of a child, possession of a stolen vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident.
Utah court records show Kane had a clean criminal history until December when he accumulated three charges within days of each other. He was convicted of battery and sentenced to probation and ordered to get substance abuse treatment. Kane was also convicted of criminal trespassing in December in a separate case and a disturbing the peace infraction in yet another case.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10