SOUTH SALT LAKE — A "very intoxicated" man stole a van Thursday night with a 12-year-old still inside, before crashing into a parked car, according to police.
About 8 p.m., a van drove up to Subway, 3305 S. State. One woman got out to go inside, leaving the car running so a 32-year-old woman in the passenger seat and a 12-year-old boy in the backseat could stay warm.
As the woman was walking in, an intoxicated man who was being disruptive was being kicked out of the restaurant, said South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller. Bradley James Kane, 32, left the restaurant and got into the now vacant driver's seat of the idling vehicle.
The adult passenger said Kane made "an incoherent utterance." She then got out of the van to get her friend, Keller said. After she got out, the man drove off with the 12-year-old asleep in the back.
As the man was starting to drive down State Street, the boy was awakened by the speeding car, saw who was driving, and told the man he was "going to call the cops," Keller said.
Kane crashed into a parked car one block away from the Subway. The van kept moving at a slow speed, dragging Kane who got part of his pants caught on the vehicle and couldn't get out, Keller said. The 12-year-old jumped in the driver's seat and stopped the vehicle.
Kane was able to free himself and started to run off, but was quickly arrested by officers responding to the scene. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of DUI with a child in the vehicle, reckless endangerment of a child, possession of a stolen vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident.
Utah court records show Kane had a clean criminal history until December when he accumulated three charges within days of each other. He was convicted of battery and sentenced to probation and ordered to get substance abuse treatment. Kane was also convicted of criminal trespassing in December in a separate case and a disturbing the peace infraction in yet another case.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8