PHOENIX — Utah Jazz point guard Mo Williams' surgery to repair damage in his injured right thumb went "according to plan" this morning in New York City.
The Jazz player, who re-injured his thumb in Miami on Dec. 22, will be re-evaluated in six weeks.
In the meantime, Williams will wear a splint. He will be limited to doing conditioning and restricted weight lifting.
Williams' surgery was done by hand specialist Dr. Michelle Carlson, who did a similar procedure on his right thumb in the 2008 offseason.
Williams sounded positive in tweets he posted after this morning's surgery.
Williams also posted a photo on Instagram and Twitter with this post: "Right after surgery. Just waking up. I asked the nurse what time is it? She said 2:00. The surgery was at 8."
It hasn't been announced how long Williams will stay in New York now that the surgery has been performed.
The Jazz will continue to start Jamaal Tinsley, with Earl Watson in a backup role, in Williams' absence. The team has a maxed-out roster of 15, including exiled Raja Bell and D-League assignee Kevin Murphy, so a player would need to be waived or a trade made in order to bring another point guard into the mix.
Coach Tyrone Corbin said he will explore putting the basketball in the hands of Gordon Hayward, Randy Foye and Alec Burks as alternative playmaker options.
As for tonight's game, the Jazz will take on the Phoenix Suns at 7 p.m. at the U.S. Airways Center.
The Jazz could be without backup center Enes Kanter, who sprained his right ankle at the end of Wednesday's win over Minnesota. Kanter is listed as doubtful.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22