Peter Morgan, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former Philadephia coach and BYU player Andy Reid has reached an agreement to become the Kansas City Chiefs’ new head coach, Yahoo! Sports is reporting.
Reid met with Chiefs executives for nine hours Thursday and was also scheduled to meet with the Arizona Cardinals, but that meeting has apparently been canceled.
Former Eagles and Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil talked to Reid and advised him to seriously consider the Chiefs offer.
“You’ve got the best one,” Vermeil said of Reid to the Kansas City Star. “He’s a great person and a great coach. I think he’ll fit in perfectly within that environment, within the community, and he’ll fit in the organization. I just don’t think you can do any better.”
Reid's hiring comes hours after the Chiefs announced the firing of General Manager Scott Pioli, who participated in the interview process with Reid. Pioli's firing paves the way for Reid to have a more active role in personnel, an opportunity he probably wouldn't have had in Arizona.
That sets Reid up to bring his own staff, including former Eagles personnel man and recently fired Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert. Reid has also reportedly assembled a staff that may include ex-Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, former Eagles offensive and defensive assistant Juan Castillo, and former Eagles assistant and Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress.
Reid will take over a team which despite its league worst 2-14 record, will send five players to the Pro Bowl. The Chiefs currently hold the first overall pick and the first pick of the second round for the 2013 draft.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 73
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35