Police say woman held, beaten for a week by husband
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man who police say held his wife hostage for a week and repeatedly beat her, sometimes in front of their children, has been arrested and charged.
On Dec. 26, Deysy Beltran told police she got into a fight with Carlos Ortiz, 32, in their bedroom, and Ortiz began punching and kicking her. He then brought their 11- and 9-year-old children into the room and "made them watch as he beat their mother," according to the charges. One of the children later told police that Ortiz would "come and get us so we can watch him hit her. Sometimes he laughs," the charges state.
Beltran was beaten until she was knocked unconscious, police said. Ortiz, however, shook her and told her not to fall asleep. She told him she needed to go to the hospital, but Ortiz declined, the charges state.
From Dec. 26, 2012, until Jan. 2, 2013, Ortiz did not allow Beltran to leave the house and "followed her everywhere," according to court documents.
The only exception was on Dec. 30 when Ortiz became ill and demanded that Beltran drive him to the hospital. He beat her along the way while their children watched from the back seat, according to charges. Beltran eventually pulled to the side of the road, got out and walked away. Ortiz initially drove off but then came back and allegedly dragged Beltran back into the car.
On Jan. 2, Ortiz fell asleep and Beltran ran to her brother's house for help.
Ortiz was charged in 3rd District Court Thursday with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; two counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child, a third-degree felony; and damage to a phone, a class A misdemeanor.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Groups petition for gun bans from school...
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display yields...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 27
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 23