Utah high school girls basketball: 10 standouts among top girls basketball players to watch this season
As the state's basketball teams prepare for region play, wins and losses become more important. The next six weeks will be about region titles and playoff seeding, rather than rankings or bragging rights. Heading into this critical section of their schedules, there are just six undefeated teams — 5A's Riverton and Bingham; 4A's Springville and Bonneville; 3A's Deseret Hills and 1A defending state champion St. Joseph.
While not all of the top teams are led by superstars, there are standout players in every class. The Deseret News compiled a list of 10 girls basketball players to watch this winter, and while the list doesn't include all of the players who will impact the outcome of the season, it features some of the state's most dynamic and enjoyable talents.
Among them are the state's leading overall scorer, Judge junior Kailie Quinn, and three players from Region 4 — Whitney Saunders, Riverton; Jillian Powell, Bingham, and Cassidy Fraughton, American Fork.
The list includes a future Ute, a future Cougar and a future Fresno State Bulldog, as well as three players yet to commit to colleges. Of the 10 featured players, just two are juniors.
Who else made the list? Here are all 10 of Utah's girl hoopsters to watch heading into region play.
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16