Utah high school girls basketball: 10 standouts among top girls basketball players to watch this season
As the state's basketball teams prepare for region play, wins and losses become more important. The next six weeks will be about region titles and playoff seeding, rather than rankings or bragging rights. Heading into this critical section of their schedules, there are just six undefeated teams — 5A's Riverton and Bingham; 4A's Springville and Bonneville; 3A's Deseret Hills and 1A defending state champion St. Joseph.
While not all of the top teams are led by superstars, there are standout players in every class. The Deseret News compiled a list of 10 girls basketball players to watch this winter, and while the list doesn't include all of the players who will impact the outcome of the season, it features some of the state's most dynamic and enjoyable talents.
Among them are the state's leading overall scorer, Judge junior Kailie Quinn, and three players from Region 4 — Whitney Saunders, Riverton; Jillian Powell, Bingham, and Cassidy Fraughton, American Fork.
The list includes a future Ute, a future Cougar and a future Fresno State Bulldog, as well as three players yet to commit to colleges. Of the 10 featured players, just two are juniors.
Who else made the list? Here are all 10 of Utah's girl hoopsters to watch heading into region play.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48