Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — The Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce has selected LaVell and Patti Edwards and the late Stephen R. Covey as its Pillar of the Valley Award recipients for 2013. They will be honored March 29 at the third annual gala to be held at the new Utah Valley Convention Center.
“There are no bigger names in Utah Valley than LaVell and Patti Edwards and Stephen R. Covey,” said Val Hale, president of the Utah Valley Chamber. “They have been pillars in our community for many, many years.”
LaVell Edwards was head football coach at BYU from 1972-2000. During that time, he won 257 games and earned the sixth-best all-time record among NCAA coaches at the time of his retirement. He led his teams to numerous conference championships and the national championship in 1984.
His wife, Patti Edwards, has been active in the community. Together they have helped raise millions of dollars for charitable causes throughout the country.
Covey, who passed away in July, is the first person to receive the award posthumously. He is the author of the best-selling book, “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.” He also founded Stephen R. Covey Associates, which later merged with Franklin Quest to form FranklinCovey. He and his wife, Sandra, were the primary benefactors to the Covey Center for the Arts in downtown Provo.
Tickets for the gala may be purchased at the Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce office by calling 801-851-2558 or at www.thechamber.org.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies, alliances
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- Once controversial downtown property finally...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Randy Shumway: Why so early? Holiday spending...
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 7
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 6
- Cedar Hills to require business... 5
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for... 2
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K... 1
- Barnes & Noble shares fall on SEC probe 1