Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — The Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce has selected LaVell and Patti Edwards and the late Stephen R. Covey as its Pillar of the Valley Award recipients for 2013. They will be honored March 29 at the third annual gala to be held at the new Utah Valley Convention Center.
“There are no bigger names in Utah Valley than LaVell and Patti Edwards and Stephen R. Covey,” said Val Hale, president of the Utah Valley Chamber. “They have been pillars in our community for many, many years.”
LaVell Edwards was head football coach at BYU from 1972-2000. During that time, he won 257 games and earned the sixth-best all-time record among NCAA coaches at the time of his retirement. He led his teams to numerous conference championships and the national championship in 1984.
His wife, Patti Edwards, has been active in the community. Together they have helped raise millions of dollars for charitable causes throughout the country.
Covey, who passed away in July, is the first person to receive the award posthumously. He is the author of the best-selling book, “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.” He also founded Stephen R. Covey Associates, which later merged with Franklin Quest to form FranklinCovey. He and his wife, Sandra, were the primary benefactors to the Covey Center for the Arts in downtown Provo.
Tickets for the gala may be purchased at the Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce office by calling 801-851-2558 or at www.thechamber.org.
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Young entrepreneurs strut their stuff in bid...
- Astronauts board space station for 1-year...
- Salt Lake City to become next Google Fiber city
- Park City approves lift connecting 2 ski resorts
- Bill before Utah governor to regulate...
- Internet outages reveal gaps in US broadband...
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- UTA board approves new pay plan for... 11
- AP Investigation: Slavery taints global... 6
- Oil council: Shale won't last, Arctic... 3
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt... 3
- Internet outages reveal gaps in US... 2
- Astronauts board space station for... 2
- Stericycle medical waste incinerator... 2