Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — The Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce has selected LaVell and Patti Edwards and the late Stephen R. Covey as its Pillar of the Valley Award recipients for 2013. They will be honored March 29 at the third annual gala to be held at the new Utah Valley Convention Center.
“There are no bigger names in Utah Valley than LaVell and Patti Edwards and Stephen R. Covey,” said Val Hale, president of the Utah Valley Chamber. “They have been pillars in our community for many, many years.”
LaVell Edwards was head football coach at BYU from 1972-2000. During that time, he won 257 games and earned the sixth-best all-time record among NCAA coaches at the time of his retirement. He led his teams to numerous conference championships and the national championship in 1984.
His wife, Patti Edwards, has been active in the community. Together they have helped raise millions of dollars for charitable causes throughout the country.
Covey, who passed away in July, is the first person to receive the award posthumously. He is the author of the best-selling book, “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.” He also founded Stephen R. Covey Associates, which later merged with Franklin Quest to form FranklinCovey. He and his wife, Sandra, were the primary benefactors to the Covey Center for the Arts in downtown Provo.
Tickets for the gala may be purchased at the Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce office by calling 801-851-2558 or at www.thechamber.org.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies...
- David Sturt and Todd Nordstrom: Don't forget...
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and Giving...
- Utahns' charitable nature unique
- Utahns urged to shift spending during Small...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Utah liquor commission going slow on... 4
- Utahns urged to shift spending during... 4
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and... 3
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 3
- Obama shops at Washington bookstore,... 2
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco... 2