High school basketball: Nationally ranked Lone Peak the clear favorite in 5A
“He’s explosive and he’s relentless in transition,” said Weber coach Mark Larsen. “We’re going to keep riding him, he’s our leader. And when teams take him away, we’re going to have to have other players step up.”
Layton, which beat Bingham just before the Christmas break, and last year’s Region 1 champion Northridge are both capable of making some noise in Region 1, too.
Like last year, Region 2 appears to be the weakest of the 5A regions. However, region favorite Viewmont, along with Taylorsville, Hunter and Kearns, all appear to be better than they were a year ago.
Kearns big man Dayan Goodman can create match-up problems for any defense as he’s averaging 17.6 points and 10.2 rebounds.
Region 3 could be the most unpredictable of all the 5A regions.
“We are very excited about this year’s team. Even though we do not return a single starter, we have a good group of seniors that will lead our team,” said Jordan coach Rob Geertsen, whose team is 9-3 this preseason.
Jordan center Brandon Pasker is averaging 17.9 ppg, and he’s coming off a career-high 35 points against East on New Year’s Eve.
Deseret News 5A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
4. Copper Hills
5. West Jordan
1. Lone Peak
3. American Fork
5. Pleasant Grove
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 95
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8