High school basketball: Nationally ranked Lone Peak the clear favorite in 5A
“He’s explosive and he’s relentless in transition,” said Weber coach Mark Larsen. “We’re going to keep riding him, he’s our leader. And when teams take him away, we’re going to have to have other players step up.”
Layton, which beat Bingham just before the Christmas break, and last year’s Region 1 champion Northridge are both capable of making some noise in Region 1, too.
Like last year, Region 2 appears to be the weakest of the 5A regions. However, region favorite Viewmont, along with Taylorsville, Hunter and Kearns, all appear to be better than they were a year ago.
Kearns big man Dayan Goodman can create match-up problems for any defense as he’s averaging 17.6 points and 10.2 rebounds.
Region 3 could be the most unpredictable of all the 5A regions.
“We are very excited about this year’s team. Even though we do not return a single starter, we have a good group of seniors that will lead our team,” said Jordan coach Rob Geertsen, whose team is 9-3 this preseason.
Jordan center Brandon Pasker is averaging 17.9 ppg, and he’s coming off a career-high 35 points against East on New Year’s Eve.
Deseret News 5A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
4. Copper Hills
5. West Jordan
1. Lone Peak
3. American Fork
5. Pleasant Grove
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24