High school basketball: Nationally ranked Lone Peak the clear favorite in 5A
“He’s explosive and he’s relentless in transition,” said Weber coach Mark Larsen. “We’re going to keep riding him, he’s our leader. And when teams take him away, we’re going to have to have other players step up.”
Layton, which beat Bingham just before the Christmas break, and last year’s Region 1 champion Northridge are both capable of making some noise in Region 1, too.
Like last year, Region 2 appears to be the weakest of the 5A regions. However, region favorite Viewmont, along with Taylorsville, Hunter and Kearns, all appear to be better than they were a year ago.
Kearns big man Dayan Goodman can create match-up problems for any defense as he’s averaging 17.6 points and 10.2 rebounds.
Region 3 could be the most unpredictable of all the 5A regions.
“We are very excited about this year’s team. Even though we do not return a single starter, we have a good group of seniors that will lead our team,” said Jordan coach Rob Geertsen, whose team is 9-3 this preseason.
Jordan center Brandon Pasker is averaging 17.9 ppg, and he’s coming off a career-high 35 points against East on New Year’s Eve.
Deseret News 5A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
4. Copper Hills
5. West Jordan
1. Lone Peak
3. American Fork
5. Pleasant Grove
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 44
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34