Brighton has some good wins, and the Bengals have been in and out of the rankings in the early part of the season. Copper Hills, Cottonwood and West could all surprise opponents. Alta is struggling to compete without Makenzie Morrison, who is now playing for BYU, but it could be a factor as well.
Syracuse wasn't even picked to win Region 1, but the Titans remain a solid team despite losing two of the state's best players last year.
"We are very excited to start a new season," said Syracuse head coach Rob Reisbeck. "We have lost some great players, but we are excited to see what the new kids can do."
Several move-ins gave their respective teams added depth. Shelby Richards moved from Bingham to Riverton and is the team's third leading scorer with 8.4 points per game. Natalie Mecham moved to Davis from Mesa, Ariz., and she's the team's second leading scorer, averaging 12.7 points per game. Maile Richardson moved from Layton to American Fork, and the sophomore is the fourth leading scorer, averaging just over six points per game.
"All teams seem to have improved," said Price. "It should be very interesting and competitive."
3. American Fork
2. Copper Hills
3. West Jordan
3. American Fork
4. Pleasant Grove
5. Lone Peak
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45