Brighton has some good wins, and the Bengals have been in and out of the rankings in the early part of the season. Copper Hills, Cottonwood and West could all surprise opponents. Alta is struggling to compete without Makenzie Morrison, who is now playing for BYU, but it could be a factor as well.
Syracuse wasn't even picked to win Region 1, but the Titans remain a solid team despite losing two of the state's best players last year.
"We are very excited to start a new season," said Syracuse head coach Rob Reisbeck. "We have lost some great players, but we are excited to see what the new kids can do."
Several move-ins gave their respective teams added depth. Shelby Richards moved from Bingham to Riverton and is the team's third leading scorer with 8.4 points per game. Natalie Mecham moved to Davis from Mesa, Ariz., and she's the team's second leading scorer, averaging 12.7 points per game. Maile Richardson moved from Layton to American Fork, and the sophomore is the fourth leading scorer, averaging just over six points per game.
"All teams seem to have improved," said Price. "It should be very interesting and competitive."
3. American Fork
2. Copper Hills
3. West Jordan
3. American Fork
4. Pleasant Grove
5. Lone Peak
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8