Utah Jazz get contributions from everyone to end losing streak with victory over Timberwolves (+video)
Kanter hit a jumper and threw down a dunk, and Hayward scored on a dunk of his own, thanks to a slick lob pass from Watson. Then Kanter came up with a steal and dunk, followed by a pair of free throws, and Hayward slammed home a dunk of his own — on an unselfish assist by Kanter — to help Utah move out to a 10-point lead, 40-30, midway through the second quarter.
Jefferson's short jumper just before the halftime buzzer sounded gave Utah a 53-45 lead at intermission, and then the Jazz opened the second half with an 11-0 run to open up a 19-point lead early in the third quarter. Utah led by as many as 23, and never by less than 13, after that.
"We didn't want to relax at all; we didn't want to let these (Minnesota) guys get going," Corbin said of his team's spurt to start the third period. "We wanted to do as much as we could defensively to be aggressive and make them play against our half-court defense. ... We kept getting opportunities because we kept getting stops."
Kevin Love and Alexey Shved led the cold-shooting Timberwolves (14-14) with 13 points apiece, while former Jazzman Andrei Kirilenko added 12 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
AK went 4 of 7 from the field and was the only Minnesota player to make more shots than he missed on a night when the T-Wolves shot a frigid Minnesota-in-January-like 34.5 percent from the field.
And although Utah snapped out of its recent slump with a solid performance on both ends of the floor, the Jazz know they must continue to try and stay together and play together in order to turn things around as they move forward this season.
"It's going to be tough for us," Corbin said of the upcoming lengthy absence of Mo Williams' leadership and toughness. "We have quality guys on this club, and we have high-character guys that understand that we all have to pick it up to be effective.
"Mo's a big part of who we are, and we're gonna miss him, but we have to pick it up in his absence."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this... 5