Utah Utes men's basketball notebook: Bachynski parents sport specialized gear for Utah-Arizona game
TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski is more than just a good basketball player. He showed his versatility by designing a logo to commemorate the first head-to-head battle with younger brother Dallin of Utah.
Jordan merged his school’s pitchfork logo and letters “A” and “S” with the Utes’ “block U” inside the drum and circle moniker to create a new design. He had it embroidered on shirts, baseball hats and toques and gave them to parents John and Yolanda Bachynski for Christmas. They also included the family name on one line with Jordan’s No. 13 and Dallin’s No. 31 separated by a red maple leaf to honor their Canadian roots.
John and Yolanda made the trip from Calgary and proudly sported the gear at Wednesday’s game between Utah and Arizona State — the first head-to-head organized competition between the brothers, whose previous battles took place in the driveway at home.
“I’m just really excited because I only had to pay for one ticket and I get to see both my boys,” Yolanda said with a smile.
Regardless of the outcome, a postgame family dinner was planned.
PLACE TO PLAY: While cooling their heels between games in Arizona, the Utes will practice at a place quite familiar to one member of the traveling party — director of player development/camps Phil Cullen. Before joining the Utah staff last summer, Cullen spent three seasons as an assistant coach at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix. The former Runnin’ Ute player earned a master’s degree in leadership from the institution.
“It’s where I have my roots as far as coaching goes,” said Cullen, who made arrangements for Utah to practice at GCU’s new facilities over the next two days. “It’ll be fun.”
The Utes face nationally ranked Arizona in Tucson on Saturday.
EXTRA STUFF: Former Utah and current Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer and his family are staying at the same hotel as the Utes in nearby Scottsdale, Ariz. Meyer is in Arizona to participate in some media events for Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl between Kansas State and Oregon. ... Senior guard Cedric Martin came off the bench in the first half. It was his first action since suffering a groin injury in the BYU game Dec. 8. ... ASU and Utah play again Feb. 13 at the Huntsman Center.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 32
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22