Why did most of Utah delegation vote no on fiscal cliff compromise?
Lawmakers cite lack of spending cuts in voting against fiscal cliff bill
Bishop said he was especially frustrated that cuts in military spending weren’t addressed in the deal. “It’s still up in the air,” he said, expressing concern for his constituents who work at Hill Air Force Base and other installations.
Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, was one of just eight votes against the compromise in the Senate. That’s what Utahns wanted him to do, his communications director, Brian Phillips, said.
“Overwhelmingly, the people who called form Utah were asking him to vote no,” Phillips said. “The predominant message we received from the people who called was that this was being done in secret. … They were very upset.”
State GOP Chairman Thomas Wright said the Utah delegation shouldn’t be judged on how they voted on the deal because it didn’t address spending.
“We’re looking at this one vote thinking something happened. Nothing happened,” Wright said. “It’s all theater. Nothing’s getting done.”
University of Utah political science professor Matthew Burbank said he was surprised there wasn’t more support for the deal among Utah’s congressional delegation.
“It’s very clear that for most Americans, that was a priority,” Burbank said. “I think Utahns fall into that same category. I don’t think most Utahns want a tax increase (on the wealthy) but I think they wanted to get this deal done more.”
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Steven Powell will not be released from...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- LDS Church submits temporary Provo MTC plans...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 58
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 44
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17
- New law banning teen drivers from... 16