'Joseph Smith's First Vision' thoughtfully explores 5 different accounts of the event
Editor’s note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
“JOSEPH SMITH’S FIRST VISION: A Guide to the Historical Account,” by Steven C. Harper, Deseret Book, $19.99, 128 pages (nf)
There are five different accounts of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s First Vision that either he penned or he asked others to write in what author Steven C. Harper calls “the best documented theophany — vision of God — in history.”
The First Vision is Joseph’s experience as a teenager when he took to heart the promise in James 1:5, went to a nearby grove of trees and asked which church he should join. The answer came from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, who appeared to him.
Harper includes images of the handwritten accounts of the First Vision, transcriptions, the context in which each was written, any known copies (which just about always include revisions) and notable critiques.
“This book was written to provide a context and community for readers who desire to trust Joseph,” writes Harper, who is a professor of LDS Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University and is a volume editor on the Joseph Smith Papers project.
Harper also looks at Joseph himself, including how he communicated, in putting the different accounts into context.
This is a very thorough and thoughtful study of the First Vision that can give additional insights to this significant event in the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine & Covenants: the 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium"
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering...
- Why the University of Miami plans to hire a...
- InterVarsity leader: 'I know what...
- For UFO enthusiasts at Oregon festival,...
- Seeing radical Muslims everywhere you look?...
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 55
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 36
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 18
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 16
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 12
- Church slaying families accept pursuit... 7
- 'An answer to many prayers': Hong Kong... 6