Weber State looking to continue last year's dominance over Northern Colorado
OGDEN — Weber State is steadily starting to find its identity, and the wins piling in are a manifestation of that.
The Wildcats (7-3, 2-0) have won three straight and six of their last seven contests and currently find themselves in a three-way tie atop the Big Sky standings. The ‘Cats will look to extend the winning streak at the Dee Events Center Thursday at 7 p.m. against Northern Colorado (3-7, 1-1), freshly off their 110-45 thrashing of the University of the Southwest, the largest margin of victory in school history.
WSU, which is 9-3 all-time against Northern Colorado and 6-0 in Ogden, is once again favored against the Bears, who have lost seven of their last nine games and have beaten only one FBS opponent this season. Northern Colorado is led by Tevin Svihovec, a sophomore 6-2 guard, who averages a team high in points (11.4) and assists (3.0), and junior forward Derrick Barden (10.0 ppg and 7.3 rpg).
Senior guard Scott Bamforth, after experiencing a short-lived shooting drought, tied his season high with 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting — including 4-for-8 from distance — against the University of the Southwest. He now has 174 career 3-pointers, three shy of the fourth best mark in Weber State history, and is 59 points away from becoming the 27th player at WSU to reach 1,000 career points.
After previously sitting out for precautionary reasons to avoid complicating an ankle injury suffered in practice, Wildcats center Kyle Tresnak (10.4 ppg and 5.0 rpg) is slated to return to action against the Bears. This season, WSU is 5-0 when Tresnak eclipses double digit scoring and 1-3 when he fails to do so.
Northern Colorado (3-7, 1-1)
at Weber State (7-3, 2-0)
Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Ogden, Utah • Dee Events Center
Online video: bigskytv.org
Series: Weber State leads 9-3
Streak: Weber State 3 wins
In Ogden: Weber State leads 6-0
Last season: WSU 2-0
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7