Weber State looking to continue last year's dominance over Northern Colorado
OGDEN — Weber State is steadily starting to find its identity, and the wins piling in are a manifestation of that.
The Wildcats (7-3, 2-0) have won three straight and six of their last seven contests and currently find themselves in a three-way tie atop the Big Sky standings. The ‘Cats will look to extend the winning streak at the Dee Events Center Thursday at 7 p.m. against Northern Colorado (3-7, 1-1), freshly off their 110-45 thrashing of the University of the Southwest, the largest margin of victory in school history.
WSU, which is 9-3 all-time against Northern Colorado and 6-0 in Ogden, is once again favored against the Bears, who have lost seven of their last nine games and have beaten only one FBS opponent this season. Northern Colorado is led by Tevin Svihovec, a sophomore 6-2 guard, who averages a team high in points (11.4) and assists (3.0), and junior forward Derrick Barden (10.0 ppg and 7.3 rpg).
Senior guard Scott Bamforth, after experiencing a short-lived shooting drought, tied his season high with 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting — including 4-for-8 from distance — against the University of the Southwest. He now has 174 career 3-pointers, three shy of the fourth best mark in Weber State history, and is 59 points away from becoming the 27th player at WSU to reach 1,000 career points.
After previously sitting out for precautionary reasons to avoid complicating an ankle injury suffered in practice, Wildcats center Kyle Tresnak (10.4 ppg and 5.0 rpg) is slated to return to action against the Bears. This season, WSU is 5-0 when Tresnak eclipses double digit scoring and 1-3 when he fails to do so.
Northern Colorado (3-7, 1-1)
at Weber State (7-3, 2-0)
Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Ogden, Utah • Dee Events Center
Online video: bigskytv.org
Series: Weber State leads 9-3
Streak: Weber State 3 wins
In Ogden: Weber State leads 6-0
Last season: WSU 2-0
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 27