SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has declared January 2013 as Radon Action Month to raise awareness of radon and promote action.
Radon, a natural decay product of uranium, is a radioactive gas released from rock, soil and water. It is a known human carcinogen, causing about 21,000 deaths annually. The U.S. surgeon general advises all residents to test their home for elevated radon levels.
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Radiation Control recommends Utahns make testing their homes for radon gas a top priority. Radon test kits are available at any hardware retail store or $7 kits may be ordered on the division’s website at www.radon.utah.gov or by calling 800-324-5928. The governor has challenged all state employees to test their homes for radon.
The state also honored radon poster contest winners Tucker Nixon of American Fork Junior High, Eric Anderson of Summit Academy in Draper and Skylee Anderson of Meadow Elementary in Lehi.
Also this month, free CE Radon Courses will be offered to real estate professionals, and a free CE Radon Course will be offered to homebuilders.
Events for Radon Action Month include Cancer Survivors Against Radon taking “Capitol Steps” to promote radon action on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at noon on the state Capitol steps; and a radon symposium will be held at LDS Hospital at 2 p.m. Jan. 28 at the Huntsman Education Center.
For information about hiring a radon certified professional, how to test a home or other events, visit www.radon.utah.gov or call the radon hotline: 800-458-0145.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Students test interactive experiences ahead...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14