SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has declared January 2013 as Radon Action Month to raise awareness of radon and promote action.
Radon, a natural decay product of uranium, is a radioactive gas released from rock, soil and water. It is a known human carcinogen, causing about 21,000 deaths annually. The U.S. surgeon general advises all residents to test their home for elevated radon levels.
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Radiation Control recommends Utahns make testing their homes for radon gas a top priority. Radon test kits are available at any hardware retail store or $7 kits may be ordered on the division’s website at www.radon.utah.gov or by calling 800-324-5928. The governor has challenged all state employees to test their homes for radon.
The state also honored radon poster contest winners Tucker Nixon of American Fork Junior High, Eric Anderson of Summit Academy in Draper and Skylee Anderson of Meadow Elementary in Lehi.
Also this month, free CE Radon Courses will be offered to real estate professionals, and a free CE Radon Course will be offered to homebuilders.
Events for Radon Action Month include Cancer Survivors Against Radon taking “Capitol Steps” to promote radon action on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at noon on the state Capitol steps; and a radon symposium will be held at LDS Hospital at 2 p.m. Jan. 28 at the Huntsman Education Center.
For information about hiring a radon certified professional, how to test a home or other events, visit www.radon.utah.gov or call the radon hotline: 800-458-0145.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16