The Walls indexed approximately 13,000 names for genealogical work by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the past year. They hope to complete 15,000 more in 2013.
"It's just a way to serve, and it's always fun when you know you're doing something good," DeAnn Wall said. "It's just a way to feel good, and have a great time at Temple Square."
David Wall marveled at how much faster and simpler the process has become, leading him to dedicate more time to the project.
"We're indexing for basically anybody, but somebody else is doing the same thing and happens to be stumbling upon our family, making it easier for us to go and find things," he said. "It's amazing."
Hailey Wall, a student at Utah State University, said her resolution for the next semester and the rest of the year is to continue her studies in landscape design.
At Gallivan Plaza, live bands played for a chilly group, many keeping warm around roaring flames, while fire dancers entertained a cheering crowd. There were free EVE-themed photo booths available, along with vendors peddling light-up toys and warm mittens.
Jennifer Nichols, a freshman at the University of Utah, joined some friends visiting the Leonardo and taking in some of the music at Gallivan Plaza before heading off to another party.
Nichols said her goal in 2013 is to maintain what her grandmother calls "peripheral vision," rather than living with societal blinders.
"It's kind of seeing everyone, and everyone's situations," she said.
Contributing: Matt Brown
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 12