High school boys basketball: Northern 3A teams thrilled tourney is up North again
Cedar isn’t the only Region 9 team with numerous fresh faces this season . Of the 35 starters in Region 9 last season, 29 graduated, which means there’s a lot of unproven talent heading into the league grind.
Region 11 is shaping up to be the highest-scoring league in 3A.
Morgan’s Jake Miles leads 3A with 25.0 ppg, while Bear River's Wade Miller is second with 22.7 ppg. Not surprisingly, their respective teams are the front-runners in the region race. Ben Lomond and Grantsville should factor in, as well.
“I think our region will be more competitive that way and the teams that come out on top will be better prepared for the state tournament,” said Morgan coach Jim Wiscombe.
The Region 12 race is arguably the most unpredictable heading into league play.
Spanish Fork won seven straight to open the season, including a win over Cedar, but it has since lost three straight — including a 55-48 loss to Desert Hills.
Carbon (7-4) and its three returning starters are riding a six-game winning streak heading into the new year. The Dinos were tabbed by the Region 12 coaches as the team to beat as well.
Delta and Payson can’t de discounted as contenders either.
Deseret News 3A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
2. Desert Hills
3. Snow Canyon
5. Pine View
6. Canyon View
2. Juan Diego
4. Park City
2. Bear River
3. Ben Lomond
1. Spanish Fork
5. North Sanpete
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48