Book review: 'You Shall Have My Word' a good tool for teachers
Editor’s note: Mormon Times is highlighting several new books on the Doctrine and Covenants, which is the focus of the Sunday School curriculum for 2013.
"YOU SHALL HAVE MY WORD: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine and Covenants — The 41st Annual Brigham Young University Sidney Symposium," Deseret Book and BYU's Religious Studies Center, $27.99, 262 pages (nf)
“You Shall Have My Word: Exploring the Text of the Doctrine and Covenants” is a book that takes an in depth look into many revelations found in the Doctrine and Covenants.
“You Shall Have My Word” seeks to make the Doctrine and Covenants personal and intimate to each person who reads it. The book is a compliation of several essays that were part of the 41st Sidney B. Sperry Symposium at Brigham Young University.
The chapters vary in subject with the topics ranging from the return of Elijah to the Word of Wisdom.
The only downfall of the book is the organization. Because separate authors wrote each chapter, it is sometimes difficult to make the jump to a different idea. While each essay is related to the Doctrine and Covenants, it might be easier to focus on the individual chapters rather than reading the book as if it had a traditional storyline.
Despite this confusing format, the authors of the book bring to light important details that are often overlooked in the Doctrine and Covenants. Especially notable are the chapters about Isaiah and the explanation of modern day revelation.
The index at the back of the book should appeal to those who will be teaching Doctrine and Covenants lessons. It is indepth and detailed. A teacher should have no problem finding specific topics and ideas.
All in all, “You Shall Have My Word” is a valuable reference tool that can be read alongside the Doctrine and Covenants.
More recently released books about the Doctrine and Covenants
"The Savior in Kirtland" by Karl Ricks Anderson
"Little-Know Stories about the Doctrine and Covenants" by Dan Baker
"Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia: Revised Edition," by Hoyt W. Brewster Jr.
Books about President Lorenzo Snow
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 105
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- New friends plan to work together to... 22
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14